Wednesday, November 13, 2019

'Snow Fun . . . Not!







While cutting extra-growth limbs from the quince bush, I took a break and went inside the house.

My friend Ann had called and left a message, so I sat down and called her back.

During our conversation, I looked out the living room window and saw tiny bits of snow in the air.  

"It's snowing here," I said,"but it's just spitting."

By the time our conversation ended and I returned to my project, many of the limbs already cut and lying on the ground were covered with snow.

Figuring I could get the job done because certainly this was just a squall, I went back to snipping off limbs covered with dead leaves.

Suddenly, the spitting from the sky turned into full-fledged packing snow, the kind perfect for building snow men.

Sorry, I'm not ready to build a snow man.  Probably never will be again in this lifetime.

The squall was turning into a message of hope for every school kid in Bonner County----all probably stealing looks out the window and hoping this would get bad enough for school to be dismissed.

When it comes to snow, dramatically different perspectives abound. 


By the time I finished cutting all the growth from the bush and loaded it into the cart, my jacket, hat and gloves were sopping wet. 

I chuckled cynically while passing the rake by the door, now coated with snow. 

Gonna have to bring those snow shovels over to the house, I thought, AFTER I throw my coat and gloves in the dryer and get a dry coat. 

My friend Trish posted that she looked out the window and for the ???? time, saw the snow said she was not ready. 

Yes, it may be mid-November, but I think a lot of us are never ready for snow when it decides to come. 

Our travel trailer is still sitting outside.  With no plow yet on the tractor and the snow deposit eventually amounting to more than two inches of, yes, snowman snow, I drove the tractor up and down the lane and driveway to pack down some trails.  

It worked, allowing me to walk back and forth with relative ease and arms loaded with firewood.

Yesterday WAS the day the chimney sweep was supposed to come and clean the chimney.  Let's hope the roof gets safe enough for him to come another day. 

The snowfall lasted for several hours.  Eventually, I found a way to appreciate it by taking a walk in the woods.  

Unlike the day before when I had seen neighborhood deer relaxing on dry ground just down the road, I only saw tracks in the snow where those still hanging around had passed through. 

I'm sure they'll be on their way to winter quarters fairly soon. 

And, so, this morning the temperature has risen a bit and snow is rolling off the roof.  Let's hope it all goes so the chimney sweep can do his job. 

Admittedly, it is pretty but probably much prettier to those who do not have to add several dimensions to the daily workload----- shoveling before opening and closing gates, for example. 

Yup, like my friend Trish, I'm never ready for winter to start, but that's life, and we'll deal with it. 


Gonna go watch some political theater critiquing the reality show we've been watching the past three years. 

I'm sure that will take my mind off the snow. 

Happy Wednesday. 





















1 comment:

ann gehring said...

I was SO didn't believe it would turn into real snow! And it is still o the ground two days later! Ugh. But I guess we are never ready.