Thursday, January 30, 2020

Hangin' Out with Marlo





I spent the day with a 9-year-old yesterday. 

I loved every minute.

Today I consider my opportunity to hang out with Marlo, Marla, Margo----whatever you call her----as a long-lasting, memorable and inspiring gift. 

BTW:  Marlo informed me shortly before I dropped her off with Mom that I'd called her the wrong name a couple of times during the day.

"But I wasn't going to say anything," she noted.  

This revelation came only after I slipped a third time, calling her the wrong name, as we pulled into Athol, Idaho's, Super 1 parking lot where we met her mom.  

Only when I caught myself in mid mistake, did Marlo tell me very nicely that it hadn't been the first time.  Still, my oversights were okay with her. 

Our day together turned out to be more than okay for me.

First, I must explain that Marlo is one of the "outlaws."  

Her mom Heather's mom aka Grandma Beth is my sister-in-law Mary's sister. 

Also, Marlo helped name CB, in honor of her dad, Cazzie Brown. 

Anyway, we're all kinda related.  Only I lovingly call that branch of extended family, the outlaws. 

Marlo lives in Salt Lake City.  Her mom and grandma were attending a funeral so during that time, Marlo came to the Lovestead.

Here at the Lovestead, she fed horses carrots, groomed Lefty and then prepared CB's stall for the night. 

We also came up here where I'm now typing so I could conduct an informal interview. 

She also went to the food bank where we met Debbie and then on to the Silo Restaurant for lunch.  

Next, we went to my sisters' arena, where I'm sure Marlo experienced the highlight of her day, riding Scout and learning a several horsemanship pointers from Barbara and Laurie. 

Finally, we drove to Athol and said quick good byes cuz Marlo and her mom had to catch a plane back to Salt Lake City.  As I'm typing she's probably back in her school for "WOW" day where kids get to partake in enrichment activities. 

Having WOW day was probably a good thing for Marlo because she knew she wouldn't get much sleep last night, arriving in Salt Lake City at 1 a.m.

I'll bet she did sleep, though, cuz she had a busy, busy day. 

During our interview, I learned about Takis.  They are one of Marlo's favorite snacks---kinda like Doritos with a hot, lime flavor.  There are lots of other flavors of Takis too. 

She also likes boneless barbecued chicken wings. 

Probably the biggest excitement/passion in Marlo's life right now is her competitive ice skating. 

About four years ago, she asked Santa for some skates and then she went to a "cool clinic thing," which turned into lessons.  

Marlo has won some awards as a team and individual synchronized skater.  

Her first competition this year will be in Denver where she'll compete in two team events and one individual contest. 

"I like how much it challenges you and you get to learn new things and go up to harder levels," Marlo told me. "Some day you may go to the Olympics, which I'm planning to do." 

Besides skating, Marlo has also participated in soccer one year.  She remembers the team using her ball and she enjoyed playing goalie.  

"We won every game," she said. 

An animal lover through and through, Marlo hangs out with three dogs at home and a cat named Pumpkin, which belongs to her brother Judge. 

Pumpkin tends to get demanding or feisty at times, even leaving traces from her claws on Marlo's arm. 

We were on a tight schedule yesterday so my interview with Marlo turned out to be somewhat brief. 

Still, I learned her favorite song, and we googled it here on the computer.  Once it appeared, both Marlo and I sang along with the professionals.  

Quietly, of course!

I've included her song and group here today, and it's okay if you listen and sing along too.  I'm sure Marlo would appreciate that. 

All of us who spent time with Marlo yesterday are looking forward to "next time,"  especially all those horses. 

A great day with a delightful young lady. 

Thanks, Heather, for thinking of us.  

And, thank you, Marla.  Do come back. 

Hallelujah!

Happy Thursday to all, and, of course, GO, ZAGS! 
























No comments: