Thursday, April 30, 2020

Rural "Seens" and Salad Salvation










This "seen" can probably be seen again, if you see this young man outside near his "Home Wood Farm Stand," on Shingle Mill Road.

Open every day for plants and soaps; open Wednesdays and Saturdays for baked goods. 

I visited the place yesterday and came home with four scones.  Only one remains on the kitchen island. 

~~~~~~~~~~



If my camera had not been upstairs, I would have included a photo of the eight deer crossing our Pasture No. 2 after I had finished chores this morning. 

Still, in the past 24 hours some of the "seens" here in Selle Valley and even some news is good. 

So, the deer will wait for another day. 


Now for a little good news today.

Twice yesterday, while on my rounds of visiting the Flower Farm for some celery starts and later Home Wood Farm Stand, the subject of goat cheese came up.

No offense to goat-cheese lovers, but two thirds of the folks I visited with (including myself) noted that they're not fans of that kind of cheese.

In the second conversation, where my friend and fellow blogger Connie Burkhart were visiting with Jennifer Bair at Home Wood, I suffered an Epiphany. 

I say "suffered" because this sudden remarkable revelation going off in my mind made me sad.

"I always ask that no goat cheese come with my pecan crusted chicken salad at Trinity," I announced to my friends. 

Then, THE EPIPHANY!

"I may never have another pecan crusted chicken salad at Trinity ever again," I blurted.

That's not a for certain, but with the restaurant currently closed and with September plans to tear down the Best Western complex on the shore of Lake Pend Oreille, there's not yet a sure guarantee of a restaurant to replace what has been every tourist's (both local and visiting) treat for years. 

It's a long-established restaurant which has a deck and one of the best views of all the gorgeous views around our lake.

And, for me personally, the pecan-crusted chicken salad (without goat cheese) has always been to "die for," regardless of how it changes slightly with each season. 

Yes, this did make me sad, especially using the word "never," which isn't very popular in my mind these days. 

The journalist in me inspired an idea last night while I was mixing up a batch of "Cedar Post" cookies (chocolate chip, butterscotch chip and walnuts). 

"I think I'll just text Justin and beg of him to see that the pecan crusted chicken salad will still appear on the menu at whatever restaurant replaces Trinity!" I announced to myself. 

So, that's just what I did. 

Less than an hour later, Justin Dick, proprietor of Trinity wrote back:

 Pecan chicken salad will always be around!

My response:  



Thank you. I’ll hold you to that promise!

Justin responded with a simple red heart. 

Thank God for goat cheese.  I may never have thought about that salad, and who knows if it would ever appear again.  

'Tis the best and well worth preserving.

Yes, my concern over pecan-crusted chicken salad is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things, but these days the little victories can give us a boost.

Just like the news about a vaccine that, as one doctor put it yesterday, "puts a tool in the empty box" of trying to combat the coronavirus. 

When that news comes from an extremely cautious Dr. Fauci, we can be happy. 

And, by the way, my friend Connie's (and hubby Jon's) son, Dr. David Burkhart, is involved in research leading toward a vaccine at the University of Montana. 

He was interviewed by NBC Montana yesterday.  You can see what he had to say by clicking on this link. 




It's a fascinating interview, which adds another tidbit of good news, especially welcome because it involves a local engaged is something very important to all of us.. 

So, I'll sign off in hopes you'll take the time to listen to Connie's son. 

Yay, chicken salad, Yay beautiful spring and fun critters, and Yay, Dr. Burkhart and team. 

Every little bit counts in making our days!

Happy Thursday. 
































No comments: