Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Appreciating Life









Life is so beautiful in so many ways and in so many daily moments.

When I see callous comments by politicians suggesting that "there will be deaths, but . . . ," I sigh and wonder how much they truly appreciate the lives and feelings of others to even utter such a statement in such a time. 

We could at least hold such thoughts within and pretend that we do care.  What's so hard about that?

Anywho, life is beautiful, and with each day of this pandemic, I find myself appreciating every aspect of living beings much more than ever. 

Yesterday was such another such day.  

My appreciation for peeps, the ever-increasing of the vibrance of landscapes and, of course, all the beautiful animals switched into high gear several times during the day.

I drove to McArthur Lake in late afternoon, figuring on snapping a few photos and being home within the hour.

Well, my arrival at the house came nearly two hours later, thanks to unexpected interactions in the parking lot where there's restroom, a boat launch and a couple of docks on the northeast end of the beautiful waterfowl and fishing area. 

From the highway, I could see people standing on the dock.

  Hoping not to interrupt their enjoyment, I parked near a shaded area and planned to walk toward another dock.

Even without my glasses, though, I could see a big smile on the lady's face as she looked my way. 

As I stepped closer, my focus improved, and my mood heightened.  

Twas Shannon Garvey Abromeit, and when I looked at the other Subaru parked in the lot, I recognized her hubby Duane, standing there waiting for Shannon. 

Well, the Subaru had to wait, as we stood there reconnecting and reminiscing about family, friends and our long lives in Sandpoint.

My mother knew the Garveys way back when---as we all were members of St. Joseph's.  

My Garvey stories, including those of Shannon's older brother Sean (a good good friend), could fill a book.  

Sean was always pleased that he did make it into my first book, thanks to a Sister School truancy.

We were on single-digit age back in those days.  

Little infractions were mighty big at the time.  Adults, like Sister Ricardus, had a way of elevating these indiscretions. 

As for Shannon and Duane, they were students in my English class when I student taught back in 1969, and, later, I taught their children who have established themselves as impressive professionals these days.

Anyway, we all relished the meeting, and as they departed, I offered a few tips of other neat places to visit around McArthur Lake.  Shannon vowed to bring her older sister Lois along next time. 

Thus ended another treasured gift regarding lives lived well in our hometown. 

Time had flown during our visit so I hurried down along the lake shore and took a few photos, figuring I'd get back at a reasonable time.

That was not to be, thanks to a guy name Rick who unloaded two Border Collies on leash from his car. 

As always, I cannot resist when it comes to Border Collie sightings.  

Turns out Rick and his wife Erleta and their two beloveds live in Troy, Mont., and figure they've figuratively died and gone to Heaven with their home surrounded by beautiful trees, including larch and Douglas Fir.

During our spontaneous discussion, I learned that I was talking with another retired English teacher.  Erleta taught in Tucson, Ariz., and in Troy. 

And, so between the Border Collie admiration and the teaching stories, I felt perfectly at home visiting with these people BUT home was calling, so we parted company, planning to keep in touch. 

Throughout the day, life and its beauty had diminished the ominous news about the future of the pandemic here in the United States. 

  At home I also enjoyed another spontaneous peep visit from my classmate Mike Rosenberger who was out on his UTV with his beloved dog Molly.

Ironically, Mike pulled into the driveway within minutes of when I had thought I'd better give him a call to let him know that "the committee" had reached a consensus.  

We would postpone our planned 55th-year reunion this September. 

Mike had offered to host our activities over two nights, and we had talked about the possible postponement on Saturday.  

And, so, as of yesterday---same day as the Festival at Sandpoint announcement---it's official:  one more event has been put on the shelf with hopes of being revived later. 

Our committee has expressed a desire to have the gathering sooner rather than later, so we will hope for a 55th-year reunion during our 56th year away from Sandpoint High School.

In the meantime, life goes on, beautifully and gratefully so, unfortunately with a cloud that constantly hovers and that does not seem to want to go away for some time. 

Life is truly precious and beautiful and so worth living and cherishing every single moment.

I cannot forget today to include a link from the Daily Bee, leading to a story by Bill Love.  

https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2020/may/05/geocaching-notes-20-years-of-both-fun-and-7/

Emma from Germany, you're a star this morning. 

Happy Tuesday. 











The Abromeits and I suggested to this young angler that he just needed a hot tub and a TV to complete his well-equipped fishing vessel. 













Photo by Annie Love, Seattle



No comments: