Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Around the Farm, Et. Al.











It's feeling a bit like winter out there this morning. 


Actually, it's not THAT cold but definitely a contrast to the past couple of days' worth of pleasant temperatures.  

Again, no complaining because I don't mind cooler weather, and we've had just enough rain and enough warmer weather to move gardening and transplanting projects along at a workable pace.

More flowers left the greenhouse yesterday, bound for their new homes.  If it does get really cold in the next days or weeks, maybe the young plants will have adjusted enough to endure. 

Even with a cooler morning, prettiness abounds pretty much everywhere on the Lovestead.  

As grass grows greener, horses drop more winter hair.  So, the blend of shinier hides and deep green grass is stunning. 

Plus, it's nice not to have to feed hay. 

Our horses now go to the pastures twice daily, first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon.  

During May evenings and probably for part of June I won't have to beg them to come to the gate for their return to the barn.

Tormenting, hungry bugs take care of that for me. 

Suddenly, one horse will stop eating and take off racing around the pasture with the others not far behind.

That's when I know it's time to go get 'em and lead them down the lane to the barnyard. 

The only challenge for me is walking beside each horse and being eaten alive by insects which like to come along for the ride. 

Always something to "bug" us. 

As the days on the calendar pass by through spring and early summer, we can't avoid daily, even hourly reminders of the ominous black cloud hovering 24-7 over the peoples of this Earth. 

It is hard for all of us, and it is becoming apparent that this cloud of gloom and fear and uncertainty and general sadness or deepfelt grief does not intend to lift any time soon.

We all suffer levels of sadness in different ways, depending on our individual circumstances. 

For those of us in relatively "safe" Bonner County, we know we will not always be safe because as people begin traveling more and more with our beautiful summer resort as a destination.

Just like those bugs grabbing free rides on my horses---we can view the recent worldwide Covid 19 experiences to feel pretty confident that the virus will do the same, latching on to humans for its own free ride.

Granted, there's not much any of us can do about people wanting to get out, breathe fresh air and see different scenes beside the four walls of their houses. After all, we all understand and want just that.

Simple measures can be practiced, however, to prevent potential sad endings to many of these liberating experiences. 

Wash our hands, wear our masks, keep our distance.

Another, for sure, is to hold off on "in-your-face" unmasked defiance to protect "liberties." 

Liberties, here in America, do go far beyond the realm of being able to yell or scream or thumb your nose at basic common-sense guidelines meant to protect as many lives as possible. 

Like my brother has often said, not one of us on Earth can control this virus, at least until a successful cure or preventative can be found. 

I also have often said in the past several weeks that I wish to the bottom of my heart that those who protest and those who view this deadly disease as a complete hoax were absolutely right. 

The facts, so far, however, have not proven that to be true.


Until we learn differently or do find a cure, the standard rule will prevail:  each of us on this planet can giveth and each of us can taketh away. 

When it's a highly contagious virus,  like this one, generosity or greed don't play a good role in the exchange. 

Most human beings do not want to be the benefactor or the beneficiary of Covid 19. 

With that in mind, I'm including a letter which I read in our local newspaper on Sunday. 

I know this lady.  She's a mom and a grandmother and maybe even a great-grandmother.

She has spent a lifetime in our community as a nurse, as a humanitarian and as a good citizen. 

I believe her thoughts in this letter reflect a sensible blend of the responsibilities that come with genuine citizenship and they also reflect a generous spirit. 

Well written, Frankie. I hope your thoughts will influence others to add just a little more humanity to their passions. 


It’s going to take us all to defeat this monster virus





May 10, 2020 1:00 AM
My life and my loved one’s lives are more important than Heather’s rights or her freedom, or for anyone else that selfishly thinks otherwise.

Who wants to take the blood on their hands for everyone that may die in Bonner County from COVID-19 because their rights and freedom to run around unprotected is more important than life itself. Maybe even your own life. 

This monster is no respecter of anyone. What good are rights and freedom if you’re dead?

What we do here in Bonner County could have a tremendous effect on the county, state, USA or the world. Remember, whether it be good or bad. This COVID-19 pandemic is a world wide health concern. It has nothing to do with the Constitution, politics, individual rights or individual freedoms.

I’m in the percentage of Idaho people over the age of 65. I don’t have to rely on the news media or anyone else to know that this monster doesn’t just affect only me or my age group. It has tentacles that reach out there like nobody has ever seen before. 

When I see people on TV, I watch and listen to what comes out of their very own mouths. That is what I make my decisions on. Through prayer and discernment you can know who or what to rely on.

So if those that are in the know set up well-thought-out guidelines to follow that might in some way protect others and my loved ones or myself than I’m going to use every precaution that has been suggested. 

Even if it takes a year or more. 

I am going to give it my best shot. I’m doing this as much for Heather and her loved ones as I’m doing it for myself and all the ones I do love. Good people help all people. I want to be a good people.

I would like to suggest a “hardship” that for most of us would outcry any individual rights or individual freedoms. I would suggest watching a loved one die via i phone unable to touch or hug or hold them or be able to even have a funeral. I’m spending time in prayer on this one.

Do you people that don’t step up to the plate and get your eye on the ball think that it’s up to the rest of us to do your part just because you don’t want to? 

This monster just doesn’t work that way. It’s going to take all of us. It’s going to take every village.

FRANKIE ROBERSON
Sagle
































No comments: