Sunday, May 24, 2020

Communicating . . . .








Today is World Communications Day. 

"May this event encourage everyone to tell; share constructive stories that help us understand we are part of a story greater than we are; we can look with hope to the future if we truly take care of each other as brothers; sisters."

Tweeted by our Cindy Wooden (Vatican Bureau Chief for Catholic News Service) and stated by Pope Francis.

I am such a believer in the importance of communications that, of course, this pronouncement by the Pope took my eye. 

Our stories are vitally important for creating understanding, as are those of others. 

How many times have we felt a bond develop with someone after even a very simple story exchange?

The important part, in my mind, is that there be a true exchange of thoughts.

If one wants to ask a question, let them finish the question.

Then provide the answer without fear that the other person will interrupt you mid sentence. 

The other ingredient of effective communication:  listening. 

And, of course, honesty helps. 

Imagine a world where such simple rules were followed consistently.  

Maybe we would create more understanding, even with those whose views are diametrically opposed to ours. 

The words exchanged don't always count in successful communication.  Instead, the gesture of respect and/or courtesy can say so much more. 

We may disagree, but we can walk away from such conversations sensing progress and that maybe next time the establishment of respect could lead to even better dialogue. 



Twould be nice if we'd strive for such situations. 

Plus, when people get to tell their stories, we and our thought processes are enriched.   Who knows?

Just this morning, I viewed the most recent blog posting of my friend Connie.  

We've known each other as acquaintances for a number of years because we both worked for the school district in different schools. 

Reading Connie's blog, with photos and her stories,  has led me to believing that these two women who really didn't know each other except for our names and our individual appearances have SO much in common that we could consider ourselves kindred spirits. 

Border Collies, Subaru's, philosophies, love of gardening and flowers and the outdoors and family----all connect us. 

Communication via blog postings has done that. And, I'm sure on her end, Connie has seen the same parallels by reading my blog. 

And, then there's my new neighbors.  

They now know that I wasn't kidding when I warned them that things at the Lovestead can occasionally get loud, and sometimes the air "is blue," as my dad used to say.

This happened yesterday afternoon when Liam ran one more time through the newly planted, almost-growing fragile patch grass in the trench he had created over the winter while rounding the barnyard several hundred times a day.

I had reached my point as I stood on the other side of the barnyard watching him race through that area, probably decimating the last of my new grass.

After letting off a stern command, laced with "language" to Liam, I saw the neighbors walking by with their dog.

"Oops," I said to myself.  Feeling badly, I walked out to the road to apologize.  And, ya know what?  They understood. 

That interchange led to more conversation and more mutual understanding as new friends are getting to know each other. 

So, I agree with Pope Francis.  

The more we communicate and understand one another, the better we can take care of [and appreciate] each other as brothers and sisters. 

Nice thoughts for these times when it seems like so many people in the world are on the attack. 

My story for Saturday, May 23 involved rain, rain and more rain, too much mud, freezer defrosting, transplanting more lettuce and chard,  home prepared tacos with the whole family of Loves, two visits with the neighbors, listening to stories of everyone's day, enjoying our resident squirrel and rejoicing when the sun finally came out in the early evening. 

This morning part of my story for the day involved the excitement of seeing a photo of one of my heroes and friends.  

Have I ever said that our family (clear back to when my mother was still alive) consider Tricia Dickens our favorite "doc," as she terms her professional colleagues. 

We'll probably be seeing her later this week when she returns from working the front lines at a hospital in New York City. 

The photo was posted by one of her colleagues who's apparently leaving the team. 

It did my heart good to see her looking so great as she winds down her month's worth of care at the hospital.  

A lovely day ahead, which will once again include the whole Love family getting together for dinner. 

We'll see what tales will be told when this day ends. 

For now, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  

Happy Sunday.  Communicate!









tonight is my last shift with this dope ass team before i fly out and i'm going to miss working with them because we likely won't be together when i come back.

L to R: Dr. Eric Cho (Cameroon, Maryland), Dr. Tricia Dickens (Idaho), Me (Michigan), and Amanda Fisher PA-C (Florida).
— with Eric Cho, Tricia Dickens and Amanda Fisher.
















1 comment:

RBnorth66 said...

A big thank you to Dr. Trisha Dickens. I hope to meet her someday.