Saturday, May 30, 2020

Saturday Slightly Sad in America






Two poignant examples of grace, empathy and professionalism in trying times. 


Tonight Eugene became another community torn apart by the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The whole episode makes me very sad. For George Floyd, his family, the people of color that have reason to fear, the business owners who lost their business tonight, the cops, many of whom I know, who had to come out and protect those businesses. 


I am not very sad for the owner of this car. He almost ran me over as he tried to barrel though the line.


All of it makes me bone tired.



But, I am immensely proud of the journalists I worked with tonight and want to thank the colleagues who texted me with information and concern as events unfolded.

I will now go to bed.


When you wake up, have a look at the effort. And if you have to sign up for a subscription? I hope you will.


Our coverage here: https://bit.ly/2TTLDjv

And a gallery of more images here: https://bit.ly/3dsWTek


Chris Pietsch


Eugene Register-Guard


Sandpoint High grad



~~~~~~~~




When I was calling back negative covid-19 results to patients a while back, a patient asked me to repeat and then spell my name


....so she could write it in her Bible.



This really touched me.


With the escalated intensity, the pressured cadence, the crushing volumes that we are experiencing in healthcare...for that one moment on the phone, I was the most important person in that patient’s life. 


Giving her the news she had been praying for, but at the same time afraid to hope for. 


A negative test.



I don’t ever want to forget that call so I’ll share it here. I hope this shows up in my memories down the road.


Dr. Jennifer Hunt


University of Arkansas for Medical Services


Sandpoint High grad


















For two months, our Friday night family and friends have gotten together, followed basic rules (own chair, own food, social distancing, etc.) eaten take-out and shared respective life stories.

Through most of those times, we've about frozen our tushes off.

Last night was different.  Twas warm and pleasant.

Only frustration:  hungry bugs but passing the Cutter spray seemed to take care of that. 

We've got this down now, and we had a great time on the last Friday of May as stories of fishes caught, new boat covers, needed pedicures, kayaks, weed sprays, etc. abounded.  

Happily, things were pretty peaceful in our area throughout the day as some went fishing, some sat waiting in RV service rooms, some worked and, yes, one went and took pictures (out Elmira way). 

Thanks to the weather, it was a relatively good Friday in North Idaho, 'cept for learning of those two new cases of Covid in Bonner County after several weeks of no activity and more lay-offs (this time Quest/Kodiak aircraft) affecting Sandpoint families.  

Sadly, across America's cities, it was far from peaceful overnight. 

We have reached a point in this country where its soul has been tested beyond simple comprehension.

Where it goes from here, we know not.

And, that is all there is to say on this lovely Saturday morning, except:   

May better days for all of America and its soul lie ahead. 






























No comments: