Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Winter, Woods and Whatever

 




These aspen are not in our woods; they are located on a culdesac at the end of Hopkins Road in Selle. 

I had time to take a drive yesterday afternoon, part of which was down Hopkins Road.
 




Time on my hands.  

It was a nice perk yesterday, especially nice because we had received a dusting of snow.  

A dusting means that we can still walk pretty much anywhere we wish.  

So, I took a small chunk of that rare extra time and went for a walk around the hay field and through the woods. 

It was a peaceful, contemplative experience, as I was in no hurry.  

I thought about how nice it is to walk in our beautiful woods in the winter time---I actually prefer walking to snowshoeing any day.

So, I considered the opportunity a gift and enjoyed every second.
  
Actually, it would be okay with me if the entire winter precipitation down here in the valley were limited to a dusting.

If that were the case, we could enjoy the beauty which snowflakes add to the aspects of nature, and we would not have to work up a sweat to do so.

I'm sure we'll not be so lucky.  

Overall, it was a great day of laid-back, not-so-urgent projects.  Yes, even more oak leaves were hauled off to the woods, and I changed the snaffle bit in CB's head stall.  

On Sunday when Barbara had trouble, we figured that a thinner bit would go into CB's mouth with a little more ease.

So, the little projects made my day. 

Annie sent me a text last evening confirming that she will not be coming for Thanksgiving.  That solidifies the fact that Bill and I will spend the day alone, as will Barbara and Laurie, Willie and Debbie and Annie.

Again, we have no wool, and we don't go "B-a-a-a-a," as is so often implied by the keyboard army of mask and Covid naysayers. 

We've been accustomed throughout our lives to read, to listen to those in the trenches, to study and to weigh information and to thoroughly check out the credibility of the sources when making our major decisions.

Some these days may find that age-old approach enlightning, but it works most of the time.  


In this case, we tend to believe that to have family from different households---all of whom travel different daily paths---hanging out together for a Thanksgiving feast is probably not wise. 

As much as we love our family members, we know they love us, and we'll all take care of each other by staying away from each other for Thanksgiving.

It ain't easy.  It's downright sad and painfully heart-breaking but we WILL listen to the experts and heed their advice. 

Maybe Christmas will be different, and we'll all still be here---we hope and pray. 

My brother posted this link on his Facebook page yesterday.  



With no preaching, I'll just say it's well worth the read. Who knows?  Its brutally honest message may just save a life or two. 

Since I was talking about the woods earlier, it seems appropriate to share my friend Connie's blog post this morning. 

For those unfamiliar, Connie lives on a road near Hope, Idaho, east of Sandpoint.  

A snowstorm slowed the efforts to complete a logging job on their place, but the melt over the past several days allowed the crew to load up and haul off. 

Some fun photos and a video. 

Enjoy. 














No comments: