Saturday, December 12, 2020

Saturday Slight

 




If you read my "sad" rant yesterday, I'm happy to say that today both life and America are looking much better.

If you follow the news, I do not need tell you why. 

Also, if you follow the news, you'll know that we reached an historic point in the Pandemic yesterday. 

Let the vaccinations begin, and, as you wait your turn in line, be more careful than ever to run the other way from Covid.

As one who runs the other way at the painful sight of a needle being pushed into flesh---so much so that county health officials had to come and chase me down from my classroom years ago to give me a tuberculosis test---I'll gather up my courage and happily take a shot or two in the arm. 

Literally, a good thing, I'd say. 

I just wish we didn't have to watch SO many painful pokes every single night on the evening news. 

~~~~

It's Saturday. The countdown continues for many of us lovers of daylight:  only 9 more days until the minutes of light begin adding up each day again. 

We found out yesterday that we can bring home the bacon sometime next week when the half a hog we purchased from the neighbors is cut, wrapped and ready to go. 

Once again, we can fill our freezer with very local food, and that is always a good thing. 

Not a lot else going on around here 'cept it looks like another mild and dry winter day. 

I'm seeing a bit more festive scenes around the area as we do the countdown to Christmas. 

These sights are definitely good for the soul. 

So, we'll continue on, tending to  the odds and ends of the season. 


Happy Saturday. 








Plan to see some photos of gorgeous wreaths in my friend Connie's most recent blog post from her home near Hope. 



When you take a second look and then a third, you must really like a photo. 

Annie captured these two scenes in Seattle on one of her daily walks.  

I love the exquisite, almost magical lighting. 




~~~~~~

Just in case you've never heard, moms can, at times, be fiercely proud of their kids. 

Maybe even an understatement, I would guess, or maybe I even know this firsthand. 

When our kids are doing great things out there in the world, we moms like the rest of the world to know. 

I may have been guilty of this a time or two with my own kids. 

And, so when a mom, one of my former students, sent me some information last night about what her son does on the side when he's not teaching at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, I checked it out and then did a little more research. 

I may have passed Jesse DeLong in the hallways at Sandpoint High School during my last year of teaching, but I don't think I've ever met him.

I know him through his justifiably proud mom, Debbie Thompson DeLong and, as of last night by reading some of his poetry.   

Amazing stuff, and when I get permission from Jesse, I'll find a day to include a couple of pieces in this blog. 

Jesse graduated from SHS in 2005, and from my quick research, I've learned he went on to the University of Montana, then to the University of Alabama where he received his MFA. 

He now teaches at LSU, where his interest is listed as poetry. 

I can see why. 

It's pretty neat to be nominated for a Pushcart Prize in the literary world and definitely a reason for a mom to share the news of her son's recognition with her old English teacher. 

Thank you, Debbie, for introducing me, albeit virtually, to your accomplished son. 

Can't wait to see where he goes in the literary world from here.

And, as always, when someone is a Sandpoint High graduate and doing so well in life, we say, "We're from Sandpoint, couldn't be any prouder." 

Keep up the good work, Jesse.  Hope to meet you some day, especially since I know and appreciate so many of your relatives! 




Jesse DeLong

Jesse DeLong's work has appeared in Colorado Review, Mid-American Review, American Letters and Commentary, Indiana Review, Painted Bride Quarterly, and Typo, as well as the anthologies Best New Poets 2011 and Feast: Poetry and Recipes for a Full Seating at Dinner


His chapbooks, Tearings, and Other Poems and Earthwards, were released by Curly Head Press.

from Frontier Poetry, where one of Jesse's poem's appeared. 

http://www.pushcartprize.com/











No comments: