Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Caching with a Legend

 





Moun10Bike experienced a full dose of the Loves the day after Valentine's Day.  That even included Foster.

He's also known as Jon Stanley, and it's not stretching it any way to say that he's known all over the world. 

You can learn why by reading the Q and A with Jon in the link below.



As for spending a winter day with the Love's, of course, it was a geocaching adventure. 

The first segment took Jon, Annie, Foster and me to Sunnyside Road and the second, to Pack River Flats.

As lackeys at Seattle's Groundspeak, Inc., Jon and Annie could report more technically the kinds of caches they were seeking. 

From my observation, they caches on islands where part of the year they're only reachable by water.

Yesterday, they were reachable via highway, mud flats, icy trails or frozen bodies of water. 

Jon and Annie actually found three caches while I was with them during the morning and early afternoon hours.  One was a mini cache that just happened to be along the route to the sought-after cache at the Pack River Mud Flats.

That was actually the only "got a find" that I witnessed, as I walked down Sunnyside Road after they had found a route from the road to the winter lake bed. 

In my case, I thought how much older I was than either of them and the fear that my klutzdom would get me into a bind which might slow them down.

After trying one step from the road on a 5-6 foot drop-off over sharp rocks, I spent my time searching for a better exit while they trudged on over to Fisherman's Island and found their cache. 

That was fine with me because being all bundled up meant pretty comfortable conditions for walking the road on a snowy day. 

Later, when we walked from the Pack River Bridge to an unmaintained road along the flats, we found some pockets of sneaky ice.  

At the point where they were going to head down another rocky embankment to get out on the flats, I opted to walk back to the pickup, which was about a mile away. 

My experience turned out just fine with no slipping or sliding and with a nice surprise as I had almost reached the highway.  

I met Johnny and Jennifer, a nice couple who had moved here from Arkansas five years ago.  They were excited with the snow and looking forward to taking a hike at the flats. 

Later, upon approaching the bridge I saw another group who were enjoying themselves out on the iced-over river. 

While approaching the pickup, I could see Annie, Jon and Foster down the highway. Soon, we said our good byes, and they headed into town to meet Bill where they would set off on another caching adventure at Gamlin Lake. 

From what I heard, it was another great search, and Moun10Bike was quite happy with his day of caching with the Loves. 

Annie and Moun10Bike have gone on other caching adventures around the world, one of which included riding camels in Morocco. 

This is our second adventure with the geocaching legend.  

The first time was two years ago when the Love family including Emma from Germany went to Camels Prairie near Priest Lake to log Jon's cache, which he had placed in 2000----the first ever in Idaho.

Fun times, and if you want to read about fun times Bill has witnessed in the outdoors since the beginning of the Pandemic, you can check out the link below.  His piece appeared in today's Bonner County Daily Bee.  





Annie, Bill and Jon Stanley aka Moun10Bike at Gamlin Lake southeast of Sandpoint. 











It was fun meeting Johnny and Jennifer from Clark Fork on the trail.






This family drove over from Clark Fork for some outdoor enjoyment.  







Happy Fat Tuesday!!


laissez les bon temps rouler 




No comments: