Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Toy Land Mistiness

 


I had to make a trip to town yesterday to pick up a new string of lights for the Christmas tree. 

Seems one string had had enough use for its lifetime.

  After wrapping the lights around the tree, I plugged in the cord, saw a quick flash of light, then nothing.  

Should have done that test first, but . . . .

Anywho, I tried different outlets and finally concluded the light string was dead. 

So, off to Home Depot, where just a week or so ago, the shelves were loaded with every kind and size of Christmas light imaginable.  

Should have bought some then, but . . . .

Yesterday, there were lights but lots of open display space between the boxes of lights.  

I found no lights to match my other string of indoor lights and finally opted for two boxes of multi-colored twinkle lights.

Next, I decided it might be wise to buy some extra bulbs for the outdoor deck lights. 

Should have done that the last time, but . . . .

Who knows if they even had the replacement bulbs then?   None could be found yesterday.  Two different employees tried to help me find them with no luck. 

One scene I did notice, however, involved an assortment of toy soldiers, Santas and cartoon characters, all dolled up with Christmas joy. 

The scene immediately reminded me of one of my most favorite songs of the season:  Toy Land. 

Hearing the lyrics to this simple song makes me wistful and a bit sad that the magical period we remember from our childhood state of wonderment and expectation seems so long ago.  

And, when the words say "never return again," there's a sense of heart break. 

Fortunately, as we grow older, our magical periods of childhood are revived time after time vicariously whenever we observe children who come after us experiencing that same wide-eyed wonderment. 

Funny how words and music can stir a range of emotions, and Christmas music certainly does that every year. 

I decided to take photos of the items on display just so I could include them along a "Toy Land" video on today's post.  

Total self indulgence of the nostalgic past on my part. 

Maybe some of you feel the same.  

This morning out on the deck, my tree is sparkling with color, and today, I'll add the assortment of ornaments, dating back through a lifetime.

Once again, there'll be pensive moments and images of special memories as each ornament or card or golden ribbon finds its place on the tree. 

And, snow is once again falling to add to the atmosphere.

Should be a fun task.

  Happy Tuesday. 






I really appreciate the writings and the perspective of Tim Henney.  He's a frequent contributor to the Daily Bee and the Sandpoint Reader. Hope to meet him one of these days. 

This morning's contribution from Tim provides of plethora of positive things to do once you move to Sandpoint from somewhere else, or even if you're a local. 


https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2021/dec/07/climb-aboard-friends-we-need-you/
















1 comment:

Helen said...

Yes! Tim Henney's opinion piece this morning is excellent. Everyone should read it.