Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Remembering; Et. Al.

 





Soon and sadly so, we won't be hearing the stories told by family members, remembering where they were the day Pearl Harbor was attacked on Dec.7, 1941. 

Most of those story tellers are gone. 

Remembering Pearl Harbor will take educating in schools, a reminder on the news or a trip to the memorial where the attack happened. 

While growing up, I listened anecdotes about Pearl Harbor Day around the dinner table from my parents.  Also, throughout most of my lifetime enough veterans of World War II were still around to add their perspectives to the stories. 

In so doing, the remembrances established a respect within the next generation for the sacrifices made by so many in the huge war effort that followed the attack. 

I doubt that these recollections have been passed on to the generation following ours. 

So, trips to Pearl Harbor, just like those to other battle fields in our history will become more and more important in maintaining the respect toward the memories of those who succumbed and of those who later sacrificed so much for America following the "Day of Infamy."

The monuments on the island of Oahu honoring the losses of that day--both impressive and haunting-- command a deep sense of reverence.

Bill, Annie and I had the good fortune to visit Pearl Harbor a few years ago, and the somber reminders in the harbor as well as the faces of World War II veterans who were there will stay with me all my life.

Eventually, we will no longer hear the individual vivid recounts of "where I was and what I was doing on that day." For those of my generation, we retell the Kennedy assassination story or the Mt. St. Helens explosion or 9-11 attack. 

Hopefully, most Americans during their lifetime can visit Pearl Harbor, view the various memorials and think about the history of an ominous day so long ago.

 Maybe even, as a nation, we can show our individual respect by doing whatever is humanly possible to avoid similar occurrences in the future.  




In other news, I enjoyed going to dinner last night with Debbie (BTW: her Humans of Idaho profile is featured on the front page of the local paper this morning). 

Bill had gone to a Gonzaga women's basketball game, while Willie and his team were playing in Coeur d'Alene.  Gonzaga won, while the Sandpoint Bulldogs endured a tough loss.

Twas truly a girls' night out, and we had a great time visiting and enjoying the best burgers in town at the festive Farmhouse Restaurant. 

Debbie was also taking care of some food bank visit, which involves a year-end get together for her staff. 

Yesterday also marked a small milestone for me. With Bill home and the dogs inside, I took off down the road for an afternoon walk. 

Normally, this would seem rather mundane, but the fact that my knees are now allowing me to enjoy walking again for the first time in nearly a year was major. 

I don't know how long the knees will behave, but it sure feels good and I'm looking forward to getting out for a few more pain free strolls down the road. 

I'm also very happy that yesterday brought an end to the campaigns of 2022.  

Maybe we can get some peace for a day or two, even though Campaign 2024 is already dominating conversations. 

Please!  

Give the weary citizenry a break. 

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could enact a law that prevents campaigning for any office before two or three months prior to an election!

My two pet peeves about the endless campaigns are the inordinate amount of money spent and the constant assault of negative noise which that money buys. 

Seems like all those dollars could go to greater causes which would improve our country far more than what we see these days from those who get elected.

Just an idle wish, I know, but still it would be nice. 

That's all. 

Happy Wednesday.  

















No comments: