Tuesday, December 06, 2022

A Little of This; A Little of That

 






This is personal. 

At my house, and in my mind, nothing suggests Christmas quite like a warm, aromatic gingersnap fresh from the oven. 

Yesterday's 2022 batch turned out both superb and divine.

For one thing, the cookies' lumpy and shapely appearance suggests just how good that first bite is gonna taste. 

Sometimes my cookies would get demerits for ugly appearance. 

These gingersnaps, however, fully cooperated both in their initial formation from the bowl of dough and their flattening out to a desired circular shape in the oven. 

That alone made me happy because I've experienced a lifetime of pathetic looking cakes, pie crusts and cookies, always having to tell people that "they taste good."

That first bite yesterday from the first cookie and every succeeding bite and then every succeeding cookie (I think I've sampled half a dozen, including breakfast) met all my flavor expectations and then some. 

Even Bill, without any coaching whatsoever, has sampled his fair share of "allowed" 2022 gingersnaps. 

I'm glad that I have stored most of the batch in a cool place for later use.

I don't know why I bake gingersnaps only once a year because they are among my favorite cookies, regardless of the season. 

At Christmas, though, that aroma of them baking in the oven and their purely Christmas-time flavor make it worth the annual wait. 

This recipe, by the way, comes from the St. Joseph's Catholic Church cookbook. 



The book, with its cover art painted by my mother and depicting the original St. Joseph's church (1907) on Oak street, has certain pages that will require no thumbing whatsoever.

I especially cherish the very first item inside the cover, a beautifully penned autograph and a deepfelt message of love from Fr./Msgr Malachi--John--Tim O'Donovan who seemed to always be changing his first name.  

Miss that sweet sweet man, and I miss my mother. 


As an aside to the mention of my mother Virginia Tibbs, this past weekend while attending the craft sale at St. Joseph's, I enjoyed a poignant and powerful moment while visiting with one of the ladies of the church. 

The subject of Mother came up, and this kind lady gave me an instant case of goosebumps, tears and deep appreciation. 

"I pray for your mother every time I drive past Pack River Cemetery," she told me, "and I drive past often." 

What a gift that I shall never forget!


Anyway, the recipe book will automatically open to an apple cobbler recipe submitted by Sally Reynolds or the gingersnap recipe provided by Wendy Rucker. 

That ease in finding those particular pages probably happens cuz bits of sticky dough have found their way onto the pages at various times while the recipes were being used.  

Those two have been used often, and, as is normal for me, I don't follow all recipes exactly.  

Wendy does get credit for the soft gingersnap part, but I'll take credit for my individual enhancement of these cookies. 

Throw in about a cup or so of raisins and an equal amount of chopped walnuts.  

Then get ready for a Heavenly (church cookbook ya know)  "Yum Yum" when they come out of the oven.

Gingersnaps one day, brownies with a layer of butterscotch chips on another. 

So far two batches of Christmas cookies are completed and many more yet to eat as I move through that annual project. 

On another note of nostalgia, Bill just read to me a tidbit of good ol' Sandpoint history in the paper when Miss Marianne Brown was elected president of the Bonner County Cow Belles.

The election was held at the home of Mrs. Raynold Davis aka Imogene.  Imogene was the much beloved shorthand and business skills teacher at Sandpoint High when I attended and when I began my teaching career. 

Funniest lady ever and so beloved by her students.  

Also, thank you, Barbara Woolsey.  

I don't know what you saw in me back in those days that would make a Cow Belle president, but I struggled through the job for a year and happily stepped aside for someone else the next time election of officers came by.  

Barbara Woolsey was a local shaker and doer among the cattle owners of Sandpoint. She and her husband Bill eventually moved to Montana. We lost her a few months ago.  Wonderful lady. 

Now, a little semi-nostalgia along with current news. 

I was so thrilled this morning to see that one of my students and a member of our old neighborhood near the airport (now the airport) has been named a district judge. 

Congratulations, Susie Jensen.  

So happy for you and, like the newspaper item noted, you have my respect along with so many others.  And, I know that Aunt Judy Helton, another former colleague is busting her buttons with this news.

The old North Boyer neighborhood and all who've watched you grow up are proud of you! 

Good luck in the decision-making ahead.  I'll try to stay out of your court. 

This morning the ZAG nation is very happy after the ZAGS pulled off a win last night against a tough and well-schooled Kent State.  

The ZAGS are now 6-3 with the three losses all coming from Top Ten teams.  

Also, speaking of Bulldogs, much luck to Willie and his girls basketball team as they take on Coeur d'Alene tonight.  Let's make it yet another win!

 I guess that's enough of this and that for today. I'll continue with the cookie baking and eating and attending to other Christmas-related projects. 

Below, you'll see a compilation of simple reminders, which I stole from my friend Helen's Facebook page this morning. 

Happy Tuesday.  






Barely the day started and... it's already six in the evening.
Barely arrived on Monday and it's already Friday.
... and the month is already over.
... and the year is almost over.
... and already 40, 50 or 60 years of our lives have passed.
... and we realize that we lost our parents, friends.
and we realize it's too late to go back...

So... Let's try, despite everything, to enjoy the remaining time...
Let's keep looking for activities that we like...
Let's put some color in our grey...
Let's smile at the little things in life that put balm in our hearts.
And despite everything, we must continue to enjoy with serenity this time we have left. 

Let's try to eliminate the afters...
I'm doing it after...
I'll say after...
I'll think about it after...
We leave everything for later like ′′ after ′′ is ours.
Because what we don't understand is that:
Afterwards, the coffee gets cold...
afterwards, priorities change...
Afterwards, the charm is broken...
afterwards, health passes...
Afterwards, the kids grow up...
Afterwards parents get old...
Afterwards, promises are forgotten...
afterwards, the day becomes the night...
afterwards life ends...
And then it's often too late....

So... Let's leave nothing for later...
Because still waiting see you later, we can lose the best moments,
the best experiences,
best friends,
the best family...
The day is today... The moment is now...








No comments: