Sunday, December 04, 2022

The Blob Goes On

 




Eighteen years ago today I published my first blog post.

When I would tell friends about this relatively new form of communicating virtually, some would often hear me wrong and refer to it as a "blob." 

I'd get a chuckle and gently correct them that, no, it's a "blog," a term coined from the two words "web log." 

Well, it's hard for me to believe that I have kept up at this morning project this long and the "sick" days when the blog did not appear might amount to ten over all those years. 

And, so, today with the start of the 19th year of Slight Detour, I thank all who have followed for all those years and those who have joined the "Slight Detour" audience along the way.

One needs an audience if something as crazy as a "blob" is gonna last more than the three or four days I had first intended.

Thanks to my brother Jim who inspired the idea with his cartoon booklet entitled "Slight Detour." The purpose of the blog was to help him get some exposure.  Then, I figured I'd bow out. 

Obviously, that didn't happen. 

I never would have attempted such a scheme had it not been for the Spokesman-Review "blog" father Dave Oliveria who maintained intense interest with his "Huckleberries" column. 

Thanks, Dave. 

I also thank my friend Helen for her concerns whenever the blog did not appear at exactly 8 a.m. every morning (wondering if something was wrong out there) AND for her eagle-early-morning editing.  If Helen doesn't catch the glitches, my friend Cherry is happy to step in and let me know if something needs to be changed. 

So, thank you both for providing some extra eyes as editors. 

This daily accessory to many reader's first cup of coffee has been a joy, an occasional challenge for a coffee-infused blank mind, a means of recording history and a wonderful discipline for my two loves of writing and photography. 

I appreciate its audience and the feedback.

Over the years, I've attempted to keep it positive, fun and sometimes enlightening when showcasing phenomenal people accomplishing amazing achievements. 

I do not know how long this morning discipline will continue.  Believe me, there have been numerous times that I've considered a post with two words:  The End. 

Obviously, it won't be today, and knowing me, it will be just as much a surprise for me as it is for readers.

In the meantime, the slight detours will continue, hopefully providing something useful for your daily routines. 

Thank you. 

Enjoy the pictures and the blurbs (not blobs) below. 





Over the past 16 of the 18 years I've published this blog, this scene has appeared in posts many many times during all four seasons. 

It's one of my favorite views whenever I step out the door and look to the east. 

Yesterday I took photos of the trees in Taylor's field twice, about an hour apart, and, once again its momentary magnificence left me spellbound. 

That's what I love about photography and one of its most important ingredients:  light. 

Light on a subject is rarely ever the same, as is true with the world we live in. 

Light will always take our eye, whether it's humanity or living things spreading their own form of light or just a scene lit up unlike anything we've ever seen before. 






What a fun time it was strolling through the crafts sale at St. Joseph's Catholic Church yesterday!

I hadn't seen my friends Terry and Donna for sometime, probably before the Pandemic.

Well, Terry was there selling her gorgeous wreaths, and I wasted no time puling out some bills and purchasing a couple which I'll pick up today.

She was sold out by the time I arrived around 11 a.m.

We swapped some stories and reflected on some fun memories. 

While I was visiting with them, a lady walked past and said hello, almost waiting for me to show some recognition. 

I said hi, she paused some more and then walked on. A minute or two later, she came back and said, "You don't know me, do you?"

"Well, I know your face, but you're going to have to help me out," I said apologetically. 

"I'm your neighbor across the field," she said. 

OOOPS!  

Well, it turns out that she has gone through chemotherapy since I last saw her, and when her hair returned after the chemo treatments, it turned out really curly and very beautiful. 

Prior to that, her hair had been short.  So, she was graciously understanding. 

There is a phenomenon about these days as we re-enter crowd situations and see people we have not seen since before 2022. 

While still at the craft sale, I enjoyed a wonderful visit with these two:  Connie and Wayne.  Again, the years have gone by but not the friendship. 

Great seeing them. 






This is the view which Bill, Debbie and I enjoyed yesterday while sitting in our stadium cushions at the Sandpoint-East Valley girls basketball game. 

Twould be an understatement to say the Willie's team had a good day, defeating East Valley 77-2.  No glitch. 

I'm pretty sure every member of the team had an opportunity to play.

Speaking of basketball, I had a great surprise yesterday. 

Earlier this week, I had watched a portion of Gonzaga great Drew Timme's Gimme Timme podcast.  

In that segment, former Duke basketball player and sports commentator extraordinaire Jay Bilas was chatting with Drew and his podcast anchor. 

The subject:  pizza and its accessories. 

Jay detests any side accessories with his pizza, while Drew likes a side of ranch dressing with his. 

Hearing that tidbit of information, I felt a real connection with Drew because my home-baked Dijorno pizzas always include a big glob of ranch dressing on the plate for dipping pizza bites.

Try it.  Delicious!

Anyway, yesterday morning, I thought it appropriate to text a podcast response to Drew, telling him I thought I was the only one in the world who liked ranch dressing with pizza and that I had enjoyed pizza with ranch dressing while watching Friday's game against Baylor.

Drew didn't write back, but Jay did.  


"A severe behavioral disorder," he replied.

To which I asked if it was a severe behavioral disorder to consider him THE BEST of sports commentators even if he didn't like ranch dressing on his pizza.

To which he replied:

Fair point," he tweeted. "Although, unlike ranch, I’m really quite a treat."

  I sent him one more comment telling him why he was my most favorite sports commentator ever, and he replied, telling me I was too easy on the grading.

Bottom line:  what a thrill for me!  AND, what a gracious and typical Jay Bilas gesture that definitely made an old lady's day. 







And, so the "blob" goes on with country hick mutterings and pictures of the beauty on this earth. 

As long as it's still fun and there are great stories to tell, I may just keep at it. 

Thanks for being there wherever you happen to be. 

Happy Sunday. 








3 comments:

Dennis Brady said...

Cheers and here's to another 18 years. Can't imagine a day without your take on our community. Keep on keeping on.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog that a friend told me about 4 or so years ago. I lived in Boundary County 50 years ago for two years and visited Sandpoint etc frequently. Especially enjoy the photos and once it a great while you mention and have phot of someone I know. Congratulations 🎉🎊🥳

Ruth Dickens said...

I love your blog. Your pictures are so special and I stay in the know about my Bode family's weather! Congratulations on your anniversary!