Sunday, January 29, 2023

Seeing White




It may not seem like a big deal for most, but it was for me. 

Last night I was able to take my sled full of hay and leave it in the barnyard, ready for morning feeding. 

That opportunity meant one major step (or several) out of the way for throwing flakes around for the horses' breakfast. 

Actually, the symbolism of the moment meant more to me than saving a few steps of dragging a loaded sled from the hay pile.

That minor change in routine and the hint of orange dawn which I could see on the east horizon when I started chores signaled better times ahead in the winter workload. 

Granted, as we move ahead, the nights may not be dry like last night and we may get more snow, but seeing early morning light is something that will change for the better each day as the sun arrives earlier and the light lasts longer.

Having a little more light on the subject for feeding makes all the difference, not only with safety but with one's mood. 

It is very cold this morning.  My computer says 7 degrees, but it's dry and that offers another perk, which I enjoyed yesterday. 

I could walk on top of the snow, which meant expanding my horizons here at the Lovestead. 

When I realized that the hard snow came high enough next to the gate to the hay field, I climbed over into a seemingly whole new world. 

Ahhh!  

So nice to just take off, without obstructions, across a field filled with tracks from some sorts of creatures that had wandered through when the snow was softer. 

Hard to tell what species left those tracks because they tend to expand with time.  

The patterns offered some interesting wonderment as I left lighter tracks walking across crisp, glistening snow. 

Not long after I had entered the field, I had a friend racing around me, sniffing, turning this way and that. 

I think Bridie felt just as liberated as I did. No longer are we limited to the lane or shoveled pathways. 

 Poor little Foster, though, remained on the other side of the gate, unable to figure out, due to his blindness, how to get into the field. Meanwhile down the lane, Liam continued licking his ice. 

Bridie and I had a nice time taking off different directions in a somewhat celebratory mood. 

For me, it was so gorgeous every direction and the slight change in location offered different perspectives from what I've been able to see all winter. 

Plus, it was fun to follow Bridie with my camera, snapping dozens of photos. 

Later, I climbed back over the gate where Foster was waiting and pointed Bridie back to the wire fence which she had gone over to get to the hayfield. 

I don't know how long this phenomenon of walking on TOP of snow will last, but the combination of beauty and freedom of movement more than makes up for the cold temps. 

While I was enjoying the fields, Bill was watching the Lady ZAGS in Spokane, win yet another game; they're now 21-2. 

Down in New Mexico, Annie was also spending some time walking across white landscapes. 

She was wearing her flipflops. 

This weekend Annie is in Southern New Mexico visiting White Sands National Park and getting acquainted with aliens in Roswell. 

And, so the white landscapes have dominated our respective family weekends.  

I wouldn't mind being able to wear flipflops to get around, but I do have to admit that for the eyes and the feet in North Idaho, this crisp, cold winter weather of late January ain't that bad. 

Life is looking brighter every day.


Happy Sunday. 

 































 

No comments: