Thursday, April 25, 2024

Thursday This and That; Throwbacks


These are not my tulips.  I snapped this shot of someone's front yard collection in town yesterday. 

Wish I could raise tulips here without the deer eating them just as the blossoms open. 

Consequently, I have to enjoy the town tulips, and there are lots of pretty tulip shows around town. 





It's my "Mae" basket.  

Hearts filled with seeds were given away at my friend Mae's celebration of life this past weekend. 

Yesterday I found a basket and planted them. 

It will be fun to see what beauty emerges from my Mae basket. 







This IS my asparagus---in April, no less.

I discovered about five spears just above the ground while doing an evening inspection of all things growing last night. 

The radishes I planted about three days ago have also made an appearance. 









It was warm yesterday afternoon and time for a swim over in Elton Anderson's pasture. 

Too bad the pond will probably be dried up when it gets really warm. 





Just a few days and the Initiative for Open Primaries can declare success in its petition drive. 

After that becomes official, we all need to vote it into law in November. 

Once more the amazing people of Idaho have worked hard and have spoken up. 

Read more below. 

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2024/04/24/idaho-open-primary-supporters-make-final-push-before-may-1-deadline/


Want to be inspired?  

Read this story by Daily Bee sports editor Max Oswald about an amazing Sandpoint woman who has dramatically proven that it's never too late to accomplish epic feats in life. 


https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2024/apr/24/local-runner-turning-heads-and-breaking-records-at-82/

Thursday Throwbacks:  Always fun to go through my photo library and pick out memories.  



These photos are in honor of you, Jade.  

Happy Birthday. 








I think this was when Willie and Debbie bought their first Subaru. Foster approved. 




The good ol' 4-H days.  A meeting at the home of Ralph Berger on North Kootenai Road. 



Haley, the wedding photographer,  used to be my neighbor and my student.  These days, she's the mother of three. 


I think my mother took this picture.  She used to do all the publicity for the Bonner County Horsemen's Association.  
The group built a rodeo grounds and put on rodeos for a few years back in the 1950s. 

The rodeo grounds was located at the present-day Interstate Concrete site on Baldy Road. 

I'm sure we still have a few locals and ex-pats (Deena) who may recognize most of the rodeo royalty in 1956. 



I always thought the horse above was a truly majestic sight (Arabian and Freisen) when it performed in area Arabian shows. 

Below:  the only time I've ever seen a horse trimmed with no halter.  

My present farrier Steve acted as the "brakes" for my friend Gail Redinger's Mojave while Tim Nichols gave him a trim.  

Mojave, a retired dressage horse, stayed here at the Lovestead once summer. 



Below:  someone please tell John Fuller that I miss our visits.  

Steve's doing a good job with the horses, but old friends are hard to forget. Hope you are enjoying retirement, John. 






No comments: