Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Wednesday Blend



Oh, those pesky deer might have stripped most of the periwinkle stems, but they could not hold back the heavenly blossoms. 

The patch, somewhat naked of leaves, is coming alive with dozens of sweet little flowers, and I'm loving it. 

I have a whole new appreciation for the resilience of this creeping flower which provides the perfect eye candy for when the grass turns green.

Spring moves on. 

This morning I told Bill that in a couple of days, I won't even need to carry a flashlight when I take the dogs out for their morning business around 4:45. 

Except for being able to see the sneaky little sharp rocks that lurk along the land waiting for me to step on them wrong and fall on my face, I could have managed without the flashlight this morning. 

Those rocks, though, love to hide in the darkness and await the klutz.  So, I'll take it with me until I feel secure in the dawn's light. 

Along with spring and warmer weather, we know the bugs are coming. 

They arrived in full and hungry force last night. 

I took the dogs out for a stroll around the yard and lasted about five minutes.  Soon, the mosquitoes seemed to be attacking from all angles. 

I'm not fond of trying to enjoy an evening walk and beating away at the bugs in the air, so I came back inside. 

That's the irony of spring.  All things beautiful begin to unfold and the bugs show up to make it not so much fun. 

I've tried riding my horses during these spring evening hours and have given up on that when the horse starts going crazy from all the tiny monsters biting at their tummies and especially around their eyes and ears. 

So, for a few weeks, I'll hold off on warm spring evenings, and drive around taking pictures instead. 

Bill seems immune to the 'squiters.  I've been with him when the air turns into a film of nasty bugs, biting at every opportunity.  While I'm going nuts and trying to find the fast route back to the car, he just takes it all in his stride. 

That's where I think there might be a different level of tolerance between men and women. 








Speaking of women, though, and still able to enjoy morning hours in the woods, I ran across an interesting article this morning. 

It announces a workshop for women interested in various aspects of forestry and forest management, taught by women foresters. 

Women in the Woods Field Day will be held at Pine Street Woods May 10. 

For more information, check out the link. 

It's amazing what phenomenal opportunities Kaniksu Land Trust and Pine Street Woods have provided for outdoor lovers of all kinds. 

https://www.bigcountrynewsconnection.com/idaho/women-in-the-woods-field-day-opportunity-may-10-in-sandpoint/article_0db7462a-01a6-11ef-a1e7-27246de69da9.html





I have noticed recently that our blue spruce, given to us the night before Willie and Debbie's wedding 23 years ago, has taken on the same political philosophy I follow. 

A little purple mixed in with the blue. 

Every once in a while, I still cheer when I hear some brave people admit that they vote for the individual, not the party. 

I've advocated that strategy all my adult life, and I don't think I'm going to Hell as staunch party advocates would have everyone believe. 

It used to be that mortal sins for us Catholics fell in the category of murder and thievery.  

When politicians lump a person's right to independent thinking in regard to political choices in the same category as the the worst possible sin ever, I just scratch my head and wonder who made up that rule. 

Also, when they label people who want to do what's right for the Earth, the animals and for other people as "Wokes," it seems obvious to me that someone's philosophy on life has turned upside down. 

If kindness, consideration, empathy, etc. are "woke," I'll happily wear the badge. 

Just sayin' .

Happy Wednesday. 









No comments: