Thursday, May 23, 2024

Rainy-Day Escape

 




Every year a dozen or so bluebirds some to the Lovestead. 

They sit on metal fence post tops and flit around from place to place in the pastures. 

The second I'm aware of their presence, I run (these days limp quickly) to get my camera.

Invariably, by the time I return to the bluebird area, they are either leaving or completely gone. 

Our place, I guess, is just a quick rest stop on their journey to wherever they are headed. 

Imagine my delight yesterday when I discovered a pair of bluebirds actually hanging out at what is probably their summer home. 

I had my camera with me and happily snapped photos as the birds would rest briefly on a limb or on the ground and then launch off to touch down on another limb in a nearby tree. 

When we heard the weather forecast of rain all day, Bill and I decided we would go for a drive in the afternoon. 

"Let's do the Usk loop," I suggested.  That would take us to the Washington border and up a road along the east side of the Pend Oreille River.  We would cross over at Usk/Cusick and then head back. 

Good choice because, after passing through Priest River, we were happy to notice that the rain had stopped and the sun almost came out.

Even though we had headed off with the dogs for a drive, the wet weather made me drowsy.  So, when we stopped at Super 1 for a brief break, I decided to have a latte.

It had been ages, but the drowsiness needed some kind of a jolt. 

The JJ's at the Super 1 deli took care of that.  Jaden, a friendly and chatty young man, told me he didn't know how to make a latte.  Same was true with the lady waiting on Bill who was buying a snack. 

Jaden took care of the transaction and then summoned another deli staff member whose name also began with "J." She assured me she that knew how to make a latte. 

It was a latte-mentoring moment as the two gathered the ingredients, which included a double shot and, as she watched, Jaden put together his first latte. 

During their preparation, I satisfied my curiosity about a tall, slender lady standing a ways away at the deli counter. 

I walked over and asked, "Are you Talea?"  She looked at me and smiled and said yes. 

I've known Talea since she lived on North Boyer, north of our family farm.  If I recall correctly, she spent some time in our 4-H club.  In her adult years, I've never seen Talea anywhere 'cept aboard a horse. 

She is quite accomplished with her equestrian pursuits and adventures. 

Talea, who lives in Northeastern Washington, spends a LOT of time riding horses. 

So, I was surprised at how tall she is and thrilled that she was, indeed, Talea.  

We had a nice visit and then my "JJ latte" was ready. For his first attempt, Jaden did okay.  

My drowsiness disappeared, and I enjoyed sipping on the latte throughout the trip. 

We stopped for a few minutes to give the dogs a break at the Kalispel Tribe fishing pond. 

Bill has gone there (with Willie last year) to help teach tribal kids how to fly fish. 

It's a win-win experience for all, especially because when they catch a fish, it's a lunker.  The pond is stocked with big trout, and both mentors and students have a great experience. 

Plus, it's a pretty place, alive big fish jumping in the pond and with birds flying every direction over and around the pond. 

We eventually made it to Usk (a place filled "uskmelons" and great Forest Service memories with my friend Chris) and then to Cusick just up the road. 

On our way back, we grabbed a bite to eat in Priest River, and, by golly, by the time we were east of Priest River, the rain had started again. By the time we arrived home, it was pouring. 

But we escaped the wet for the afternoon with a pleasant and relaxing trip through dry and beautiful country. 

And, I've finally captured some bluebird pictures.  With bluebirds on the mind, how 'bout some Miranda Lambert. 

Happy Thursday.








Latte mentoring and a Talea sighting at Super One in Idaho Hill. 






















No comments: