Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Just Goin' with the Flow




We lucked out with yesterday's weather event.  We had very little wind, so no mess except for one rotted poplar which was probably gonna fall without help anyway. 

Bill cleaned up the carnage and dragged it away. 

The yard has very few downed pine cones and just a few small limbs.

That said, it was quite an interesting weather event to witness, with several dramatic episodes of varying natures.  

Sunshine, light and steady rain, full-fledged, punishing downpours with a little hail mixed in, thunder booms, rainbows, dark, ominous clouds usually emptying their contents followed by blue sky and sunshine. 

The best part of the day came in mid-afternoon when I walked outside during a lull from the rain and discovered a group of cedar waxwings hanging out in the service-berry bush and the big plum tree. 

I was able to get a few pictures before Lily, who thought she needed to go to pasture, let loose with a loud whinny. 

Whoosh!  

Off went the gorgeous birds.  

I'm hoping they come back because it's always a visual delight to watch them.  

Richard, the carpenter, was here off and on cutting and staining the trim for the shower.  He'll be back this morning to install it. 

He's also fixing the "anxiety section" by the door where Foster emphatically scratched at the trim and dug a hole in the sheet rock, all which Richard had already repaired last fall. 

After the second incident, we made changes in the dogs' routine during our absences, leaving them in the garage, and Foster seems to do okay there.

So, the damaged area should look as good as new by day's end. 

The horses were happy to go back to pasture this morning, and I'm hoping to do some yard and garden work before the predicted afternoon winds set in. 

They've promised us the reward of sunshine and warmth tomorrow after this siege ends. 
















There's been a lone turkey making passes through the place the last week or so.  

I was on the lawnmower the other day when I saw it doing an emphatic turkey trot from the barnyard area to the woods. 

Yesterday it spent some time in the barnyard, a safe distance from the horses.  Then, Bill spotted it out the south window headed toward the bird feeder. 

Only problem:  someone else was busy at the bird feeder, so the turkey had to wait in line.  Finally, it gave up and trotted off to the woods. 

Last evening, we looked out, and, by golly, that turkey had found a friend.  When I opened the sliding glass door, the two headed for the woods. 

This morning, while taking the horses to pasture, I heard a crow chastising something over east of the barn. 

I looked in time to see the crow still yelling and flying over the Siamese cat as it ran for its life to the deck. 

I have a feeling that cat did something the crow did not like.  

I endured two-three weeks of a crow's chastisement every time I came out of the house several years ago.  A baby crow was in the barnyard at our other place.  Worried that the horses might hurt it, I moved the baby about 15 feet away outside the barnyard. 

That was a crow NO NO.  

From that day on until my sentence ended or the crow got laryngitis, I dealt with constant cackling and swooping up and down everywhere I went outside.

There was no telling that mother crow that I was just trying to help. 

So, I'm guessing the Siamese may have come in contact with a baby crow and is now paying the price.  

The cat showed up again this week, after a two-week absence. I still want to know who owns it and where it gets its food. 

I hope it's not eating crow!

Guess that's enough babble for the day. 

Enjoy your Tuesday. 














No comments: