Friday, July 09, 2010

Friday comings and goings


There's lots of activity around this household this morning.  I just came upstairs from the kitchen where Bill was gathering his sweet treats for the backpack he'll be wearing on a hike today.  

He calls it the "three peaks" hike, where he and Willie will climb to the tops of three mountains near Bonners Ferry and place three geocaches.  

So, all you geocachers out there, be prepared to find some new postings on the site from Loblollylove.  But plan to do some serious hiking to find the caches.

Willie and Bill plan to depart around OH-7 hundred, as Bill terms it.  When Willie comes to go with Bill, he'll bring the doggies to stay at the Lovestead for the day.  They've been on "furlough" this week because of my desire to keep canine issues simple while we have company and their dog.

Speaking of which, Mike, Mary and Holly have set OH-8 hundred as their estmated time of departure to head down the road back to DuPont.  Mary did some baking in the sun this week---call that body baking, so she's still recovering from a significant burn.  

They've had a great time, calling the Lovestead their headquarters while branching out in various directions to visit family members on the Thompson and Tibbs sides.  

This is also the day that Miss Heather, my 3-year-old orphan horse,  leaves the place and goes to school down there on Forest Siding Road with former Marine Sgt. Roxane Conrad.  We haven't yet agreed on any OH-???'s yet for Heather to make her move for a month's training. 

I still haven't figured out how to get her down there simply without leaving one horse here all by itself to scream through the neighborhood that it's feeling mighty lonesome without its friends.  Horses really like their pen friends, and when you upset their rhythm, they have plenty to say about it.  

I'm thinking of riding my bike and leading Heather to Roxane's.  Stay tuned.  That could be interesting.

By the way, I'm ecstatic this morning because this year I filled Big Blue correctly on the first try.  The true test came this morning when I looked out the window and saw that the pool was still standing instead of flat on the ground with all 7,000 gallons of water gone.  

It's a good feeling to finally do something right, especially good because such results seldom happen to me. 

Tomorrow and Sunday are horse-show days, and, of course, things are heating up for my day-long stays in the announcer's box with the bees at the Spots of Fun annual show.  Everyone else in every other spot on the grounds might be having fun, but I figure I'm giving the ultimate sacrifice to help the show go smoothly.

Yesterday, Nancy Wright, the 4-H coordinator, warned me to take along plenty of bee spray and water.  Good sign of a long, hot and dangerous weekend.

In between bee attacks, though, I'll be enjoying the show from my high-up perch.

And, speaking of things heating up at the Bonner County Fairgrounds, I understand we're gonna have a hot-button "fiesta" come fair time. 

Seems some local political folks resent the word "fiesta" being used with the annual fair's decorating theme, so they've written and asked the Arizona governor for some of her state's license plates. 

From what I read in the papers, they plan to use the license plates as part of the decorations in their booth, which will tout the English tongue's term "celebration" as a substitute for the fiesta themes at all the other booths.  

Never a dull moment in the thinking caps of good ol' North Idaho, and I'd better get going cuz I have lot of projects on my plate today, and it's almost OH-7 hundred and getting warm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite frying myself to a lovely Day-Glo pink ("You're never too old to be stupid" is my motto), it was a lovely couple of days in Bonner County, thanks in large measure to the gracious hospitality and gorgeous surroundings of the Lovestead. Thanks, Bill and Marianne.