Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday Twitterdeedum


It's a good day, even if the sun is not shining.  One more speech under the belt, and with luck, it will be my last. 

Last night I gave a presentation to several old friends and fellow educators at St. Joseph's Catholic Church.  Lasean Driggs had asked me back in March after seeing a few of my photos from Ireland.

Generally, these days, I pass on speaking invitations, often suggesting someone else.  I could not say no to Lasean, though.  She has been a wonderful friend to my mother in addition to so many other elderly in the community.

Lasean drives for miles on end to give Communion to those who can't make it to church.  Plus, she spends whatever time is needed visiting with these people.  Of course, with Mother, the usual conversation has something to do with Gonzaga basketball.

Anyway, I appreciate Lasean and when she asked, I had to say yes. 

Last night's experience was wonderful, especially because my usual case of pre-speaking nerves did not bug me too much.  I saw so many former colleagues that I hadn't seen in some time.

I especially enjoyed listening to Susie Haskins tell about the rituals she has planned for her last two days ever of teaching, one of which includes her John Phillips Sousa record and needle-operated sound system.

She told me she always had it on hand for those "in case" days when a lesson plan had not developed.  She never needed it.  Anyone who knows Susie would be shocked if she ever had a day without a plan.

So now, her "without a plan plan" will be a full-fledged plan.  The record player will come out.  The needle will be placed on the record.  Sound will go up, and Susie's kindergarten students will march to Sousa classics. 

What a fine way to end one's career, especially as the Idaho Teacher of the Year!

Last night my presentation featured the "good, the bad, the ugly and the 'Hallelujah, I'm in Ireland'" aspects of Annie's and my trip in March. 

It was especially touching for me to see Annie's first-grade teacher, Mrs. Graham, in the group.

Mrs. Graham----not laptops---inspired the spirit of adventure in Annie.  What a wonderful opportunity to show this teacher what just one of her hundreds of students took with her out of that first-grade classroom!

After speaking, I pushed the DVD button, and the group watched a portion of Annie's wonderful DVD (set to Irish music and featuring photos from her 2009 trip).  I think they liked it.

I'm anxious to see some of the photos coming across the wires of Queen Elizabeth's visit to Ireland, which started today.  Listed on the itinerary is Kildare.  Kildare, about 40 miles south of Dublin,  is home to the Irish National Stud.

It was fun to joke with Bill this morning that "the Queen will walk the same pathways through that beautiful setting that Annie and I walked" just two months ago.  I'll bet she likes it just as much as we did.

And, speaking of horses, my three are getting their toenails clipped tomorrow.  Lily will have her first shoeing for the year, and I'm hoping the weather will allow us to get out on some of our favorite trails in the next few weeks.

So far, one trip down South Center Valley Road meant a quick turnaround because her bare hooves are so tender.

I'm also excited because a little "Darling" will be working with Lefty this summer.  She's quite the little horsewoman with a great attitude, and I'm anxious for her to meet Lefty. 

Lots of horse stuff coming up, so the fun times begin. By the way, the Sand Stallion opened yesterday next to the Cedar Street Bridge.  Gail is still getting inventory in, but for the bling lovers, it's paradise. 

The store is very attractive, and I enjoyed my first visit yesterday.  Go check it out.  She's a nice lady.

Guess that's enough blather for today.  Outside I go to the ongoing projects.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments: