Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Morning at the Excalibur

Somebody please tell Jack O'Brien and family that their huckleberry chocolates are a hit in the desert. My friends, Puz aka Janis Puzuhanich and Mow aka Jean Tobin have been enjoying them this past few days.
So much happened during our fun-filled day yesterday that I don't know if I can remember it ALL this morning.  
We met for breakfast over quiches, paninis and coffee.  The aforementioned did get attention, but the visiting and laughing were the highlights----almost! 
Enter Samantha.
She was ahead of us in line.  She came over and wondered if anyone wanted a free latte.  She had an extra and wanted to give it away---just cuz.  NOTE:  to Samantha.  Can you send me your email address again.  Use my address listed on this blog.  I seem to have misplaced yours.
We thought that was very nice of her, so we jumped into a lively conversation.  Not wanting to cause too much commotion, we finally decided it would be a good idea to order our four breakfasts and help move the line along.
When I went to pay, the cashier said our tab had already been paid----by Samantha.
Samantha said she just wanted to do something nice yesterday morninand she had found her beneficiaries.  We were stunned and beyond appreciative, and we've all vowed that Samantha will be hearing from us and definitely never forgotten. 
Thank you so much, Samantha.  Your gesture made our day and will receive a grand billing in all future stories to tell.  And, yes, we'll pass on the goodwill you extended toward us yesterday.
I got to thinking about giving up things for Lent and have decided that "giving of oneself" could leave a much more positive impact on this earth.
So, I'll do my best through Lent to follow Samantha's example.  I'm sure the rest of her recipients feel the same way.
Hate to even talk about spending the night in Sin City after that wonderful moment yesterday.
We did, however, and I can now say that I've seen the beauty and the "beast" of Las Vegas. The architectural creativity is beyond description.  Seeing is believing, for sure.
We had a good buffet dinner at the Mirage, and we had fun taking pictures and geocaching.  Annie had the camera and the geocaching information.  I acted as assistant and subject for both.
I also set a new record with my pedometer.  I think it hit almost 23,000 steps yesterday.  It will be hard to beat that today, but we'll be doing some more geocaching on the way back to Palm Springs and the Academy Awards. 
Should be another fun-filled day, and we're hoping that introducing Janis to geocaching has started a new adventure for her.
She found her first cache yesterday with Annie's help after breakfast.  When we checked in on Facebook late last night, she had gone off and found a second.  Yay, Janis.
I have heard about and seen some nice photos of the ongoing snowstorm, which has dumped nearly a foot of white stuff at home.
The desert looks beautiful this time of year, and I'm glad that my experience with snow this time has just been on Facebook.  Hope a warm wind blows it away before Tuesday.
Happy Sunday!
We met these nice folks just beyond Amboy, Calif. They were Canadians hot on a geocaching power trail, which involves teamwork and a lot of caches found and logged in a short amount of time.  Annie and I cached a short stretch of the trail, picking up about half a dozen new caches.  When we caught up with them, they were talking caches in the hundreds.  They were pretty thrilled to meet someone from Groundspeak, which runs the geocaching website.

7 comments:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

We love LV! What an amazing place, great to visit, anyway. You need to spend more than a day, though.....so much to see.

Anonymous said...

To the beautiful woman that had the pleasure of meeting Samantha. She is such a kind and generous person. She is the type of person that gets more pleasure out of giving than receiving. She has been "paying it forward" for many years and has brought so much unexpected joy and happiness to so many people. She's gone to impoverished areas to feed the homeless, collected blankets for the poor, bought groceries for the person behind her @ the grocery store and countless other good deeds. I am so happy you had a chance to experience her good-will. I am her biggest fan! I am her mother.

Anonymous said...

Hi ladies! Thank you so much for this touching account of our morning shared together. If a few bagels and coffee made all people this happy, we'd be in great shape!
What you wrote about the giving of oneself was so lovely and true - it is something that so many of us have a hard time giving, but that we have an abundance of. So now, I will now think of you all during my morning routine of getting coffee, and realize that every experience is an opportunity to be kind, give a little, and have fun!
Thank you for the good laughs, and for reminding me of the of beauty of friendship and of mothers. I obviously called mine after I met you, haha!
Hope you had a great time hunting for treasure. :)
Samantha

MLove said...

Samantha,
I have much more today to you and to your mother,but for now,my friend, Mow says to tell you we are experiencing a serious case of goosebumps bordering on tears after reading your Mother's and your comments. I did find your email address this morning so when I get home, you'll be hearing from me. Thank you for your inspiration and tell that mother of yours she must be something else for rearing a daughter like you. Marianne

MLove said...

If Samantha or her mother happens to check back here, I seem to have misplaced the email address again. I had it in my hand before we left our hotel in Las Vegas but cannot find it now. So, would either of you please send me a contact email for Samantha. Use my email: potatohead89@hotmail.com. Thanks so much. Marianne

Anonymous said...

Oh, Marianne, I knew I should have asked to copy Samantha's email addy before you put it in your pocket! lol What a fun morning that was. I loved meeting Samantha and being a recipient of her 'random act of kindness'. I love the whole concept and if nothing else, practice "smiling at a stranger' every day. They almost always smile back. It was great to see you again - so much fun in such little time! AND to meet Annie! What a sweetheart she is! The huckleberry chocolates - OMG - all I can say is that I am so glad I get to taste them with total enjoyment before they land on my butt! And thanks so much for the intro to geocaching. I want to get back to it again. Maybe tomorrow! Puz

Shwetablog said...

grt