Saturday, April 28, 2012

Saturday Slight



It's a glorious morning after two cold and often wet days.  I told the horses they'll get to go sample some pasture for a short time today.

First, they have to eat their breakfast.  It's not a good idea to turn horses out on wet, spring grass with empty tummies.

Horses like to gorge, and all that rich food can do a serious number on their sensitive digestive network---ranging from tummy aches to death.

So, Lily's frequent not-so-subtle hints with her eye pointed to the pasture every time I come outside will finally come to fruition sometime today.

~~~~~Bill has to give a presentation to the Master Naturalists this afternoon, so he's taking his technology to the venue this morning to make sure it works.  That would be out at the Water Center on Lakeshore Drive.

~~~~~I have a date with a lawnmower again today.  The rain has encouraged some enthusiastic grass growth.  And, yesterday I spotted my first dandelion.  
Last year I sowed Weed and Feed on the yard to avoid dandelions.  Instead of decimating them, I think it fed them and fed them well.  

So, I'll skip the Weed and Feed and just moan and groan through dandelion season this year with the thought that Pat Gooby will be happy.

Pat used to sponsor the Dandylion Festival here in the area.

I don't think the turnout was ever very great, though, because not everyone appreciates dandelions like Pat.

~~~~We had a wonderful time at Second Avenue Pizza last night, taking Miss Idaho, Genevieve Nutting, to sample her first world's best ever pizza.  We reserved a table after owner Carolyn told us a party of 40 would be coming.
Genevieve was very gracious in between bites of her veggie pizza to pose for a few photos with our friends who came through the door.

~~~~When the party of 40 started arriving, I knew the group and knew the reason for their gathering.  
Today the Hanson siblings, grandchildren,  great-grandchildren, other family and friends say good bye to family matriarch,  Josephine Hanson.
On this beautiful spring Saturday, I must say Josephine sowed many good seeds upon this earth through her good works and especially through her family.

While watching her family members file through the door, I saw classmates, school mates, many former students and some good friends.  In fact, I told Bill after we left that I'd probably taught half of that gathering. 

Visiting with them ranked right next to having Miss Idaho at our table.  What good people they all are----beautiful families, great contributors to their communities, and, in many cases, to the lives and minds of young people through their teaching.

To you, Rick Hanson, my dear classmate, I can't adequately express how wonderful it was to visit with you.  And, thanks for reading the blog every day.

I'm including a photo of Sue Hanson Haynes who has always been one of my special friends.  It was fun to introduce her to Genevieve, the BSU journalism major.  

My close association with Sue happened because of journalism.  We share the honor of serving as former Cedar Post editors, and, at our mentor Bob Hamilton's request, I took Sue and her classmate Christy to a state journalism conference in Pocatello many, many years ago.

As friends, we have shared our personal thoughts over the years.  
Sometimes our political philosophies have not matched up.  Sometimes they do.  

Differing opinions between us have never caused the bitter acrimony I see so many times when friends have political differences.

Sue and I have always respected each other----even though the other may have wondered why---but we've never let our opposition trump our valued friendship.

And, that all goes back to Josephine.  I think she equipped her children with a wonderful, supportive foundation that helped them take on the world with confidence and function as productive citizens and good people. 
I see those traits in her grandchildren, and have even seen it in a few of her great-grandchildren, whom I had the honor of meeting last night.

So, today as friends and family say good bye to Josephine, they can revel in the fact that she influenced them all in meaningful, positive ways. 

A great contribution for a life well lived. 

~~~~Happy Saturday to all. 

No comments: