Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Slight

This has been a morning of corn-stalk reinforcement.

In the calm of what looks to be a pleasant summer day, I used a spade, worked up some dirt and built a berm along both sides of my corn row next to the barn.

It was flattened by yesterday’s wild and woolly thunder, lightning and rainstorm.  My poppies didn’t do so well either.

After spending six hours mowing and primping my lawn,  I drove to town where I met the beginnings of dark skies and rain.

By the time I left The Bridge, trees were blowing almost sideways.  

I turned from the highway to Selle Road and saw flashing lights.  A tree had fallen over a power line just half a mile from the highway. 

Of course, as I pulled into the driveway, a leaf/limb-infested messy lawn greeted me.

That sight was a "pain in the pittuty," to say the least, but minimal compared to some of the loss I’ve heard about around the county:  a horse struck by lightning, a man killed by a falling tree. 

It’s a “count-your-blessings” morning for sure.  Of course, I’ll keep on griping about my garden and lawn mess, but I’m grateful for the fact that I simply have to pick up the pieces or throw a little dirt to help support that wind-blown corn. 

This morning I took a bike ride through the neighborhood.  Haven't ridden my bike for some time, so I had to have a talk with some of those lazy leg muscles.

It was nice to cover more ground than usual and to snap a few photos (below) of the early-morning silent but lovely scenes.  I noted to myself that the tractor and baler out in the field had fortunately completed its work, and the bales are probably stored in a dry place. 

That's not the case in a lot of hayfields around the area where intermittent storms have kept farmers offguard and frustrated. 

As the summer rolls on, we do have news in this morning's paper that----ah, the Byway may open July 27.  

We also learned today, July 21,  of the Fourth of July parade awards.

Twas nice to finally learn the the Girl Scout float and contingent won third place in nearly 100 entries.  Congratulations to Debbie and her volunteers. 

Guess that's enough for now.  Here's wishing everyone a happy Saturday.  Enjoy the photos. 








No comments: