Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Prelude


Still another week-plus to go on the calendar, but we're getting a taste of spring this morning.

And, that's good.

No 55-degree temps arrived at this house yesterday, except inside. In fact, I turned up the thermostats at noon to go along with the fire in the stove.

Now, the thermostats are turned back, the windows are open, and birds are happily chirping outside on this wet and warm morning.

I even left one upstairs window open all night next to my baby lettuce.  The lettuce lived.

Today is a welcome change from yesterday, which turned out to be about a 10.5 on the 10-point miserable slop scale.  Fortunately, warm temps overnight melted the two-inch blanket of wet snow we received during the day. 

So, today we're seeing and hearing some definite signs of spring.  

Most notable for me this morning was the notion that those wide boards across part of the barnyard sure are nice for walking.

No frozen pack from winter left.  Just a lot of slop.  I put the boards out when the whole surface was frozen, and this morning I was glad. 

The horses will have to tromp through the muck for at least the next several days, but maybe we'll be lucky this year and not break any moisture records.  The horses will appreciate that.

And, so will I.  

It's definitely dirty-dog season.  Poor Foster gets an intensive towel-off every afternoon after a day of having to stay outside or in the garage, thanks to his wet, dirty coat. 

I'll be happy to put the towel away, and Foster will be happy to avoid the late afternoon rubdown. 

I told Bill this morning that some of my pots may be moving to the greenhouse soon.  Most of what I planted last week is up, and those 'maters are almost two inches high already.  

So, they and the lettuce and spinach can surely go outside once I get a heater set up in the greenhouse. 

Another aspect of this spring prelude time of year is sitting downstairs.  It's the Manilla envelope labeled "Tax Information for Bill and Marianne Love."  

It needs to leave the kitchen island and head for the accountant.  I don't think there's a lot Bev can do to help us with this year's tax sting.  

Still, once the envelope is out of my sight, I'll feel like we're moving on toward a better time.

We were happy this morning to hear that yesterday's levy election passed by a fairly wide margin.  

That means a much better spring for students and staff because all the possible cuts to programs and personnel will not occur----just yet anyway. 

Nothing like spring in educationville when rumors abound of impending doom.  So, even with a rainy day, things are looking bright this morning in the local school settings.

I told Bill this morning that now all we need to know is who's Pope and who's gonna fill the Bonner County Commissioner position vacated by Joyce Broadsword.  

The governor gets to make the commissioner decision, and whatever it happens to be, I'm betting the smoke may be black anyway.

Meanwhile, the crowds still wait for white smoke in the Vatican.  It will be interesting to see if the hierarchy choose the status quo or if they stretch themselves and take a chance on a more progressive Pope.  

Only smoke will tell. 

That said, I'm guessing the only other vital decision awaiting our ears is who Gonzaga will gonna play in their opening game of the Big Dance.  

We'll have to wait until Sunday to find that out.  That's St. Paddy's Day, so maybe they'll have the luck of the Irish.   

In the meantime, I guess I'll focus my attention and concerns on the other stuff and keep tending to my indoor garden.

Happy Wednesday. 

 

No comments: