Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday -- SUN day, Ahhhh!

Zero percent!  I love it.  Unless my CO-OP cheaters were fooling me, I'm sure I saw ten suns on last night's weather forecast. 

Ten, count 'em!  At long last, I think we can move forward with spring, a nice change from the inch ahead and halt, inch ahead and halt some more of the past several weeks.

It's a good Monday morning, knowing my cat made it through a tough week, my cold is nearly gone, had a nice visit with my daughter (who had a nice visit with her grandma yesterday) and the grass is green and growing.

This is also Amos' last morning down there in deckville.  He's gonna "seal the deal," so to speak,  by putting the final screws on all those beautiful cedar boards.

Amos says to wait until July when it's really, really dry to power wash and then stain the deck.  In the meantime, I've got some painting projects to spruce up the planters, both on and around the deck.  

Can't wait to see how the scene looks with a bunch of bright red geraniums blooming. 

When we went to visit Mother yesterday, my sisters showed up around the same time.

They said they had cupcakes out in the car.

"We're celebrating Meggie and Jessie's birthday; it's tomorrow," Laurie announced.

So, the Life Care Center had itself a birthday party with three doggies (Annie had Foster), a grandma, the sisters and a granddaughter.  It was a fun scene. 

This is the week that Willie, Debbie and Barbara are San Francisco bound with their journalism/yearbook students.

It definitely brings back memories for me as I think back on the first national journalism convention I attended in San Francisco back in 1981. 

Kids have it easier these days, as they'll be flying down Thursday.  We got on a bus and stayed on the bus, 'cept for potty stops, for 24 hours before rolling up to the Statler Hilton in downtown San Francisco.

The scene of volunteer drivers, Rod Thurlow, Al Jacobson and Bobby Moore,  switching seats as drivers when the bus, known as the Silver Eagle was still rolling down the highway has stuck with me through this day.  I was truly amazed, AND we lived.

For all you Parkins clan members who may be reading this morning, that was the same trip when I ran into your brother Tom at Macy's.  He walked me back to the hotel, and I'm pretty sure we giggled all the way.  Tom, are you reading????

Jeff Gustaveson's whoopee cushion sounding off as he smiled with satisfaction in the hotel elevators kinda stands out too, as do the memories of my trying to escape from Kari and Jeralyn who insisted on calling me MOM rather loudly in all department stores and chasing me down as I tried to escape. 

The national journalism convention trips were the best of experiences for kids and chaperones, most of the time anyway.  I'm sure Willie, Debbie and Barbara have everything in place to make sure they remain the best of times and that maybe some of the kids will win some "bests" in the awards department. 

Well, Bill tells me Amos has already arrived, so that signals a good time to quit my yapping and get to work myself on this gorgileous Monday morning with several "suns" ahead.

Happy Monday.

No comments: