Monday, June 17, 2013

Great Weekend . . . .










Life is moving a lot slower and quieter this Monday morning, compared to our busy, fun and memorable Father's Day-Anniversary weekend. 

Couldn't have asked for anything better, and my mind is so full of good memories, I have work hard to sort them out.

And, speaking of sorting, that's one of the highlights among such wonderful times as the Berkley visit, dinner at the cabin, the evening boat ride to Dover and back and a "family bonding" occasion with Bill, Willie, Debbie, Annie and me at Second Avenue Pizza last night. 

I'm really excited about our introduction to ranch sorting yesterday.  Barbara loaded up her pretty mare April, while I loaded up Lily.  Debbie came along with me, while Laurie came along to help Barbara.  Our "field crew" also took photos.

Whether or not, our horses were gonna meet a cow and have a good experience seemed pretty iffy at first.  

Both mares had never been to Hawkins Arena, and, in their minds, there were a lot of scary things to see up close and personal for the first time---the American flag fluttering in the breeze, horses tied, moving, sleeping, running everywhere; strange gates, you name it.  

We managed to get them into the arena.  In my case, the sensation of the power beneath me and its potential kept me beyond alert and engaged in more than the usual tongue action.  

I have never functioned well without my tongue hanging outside my mouth, it seems.  Just ask my students or anyone who looks back at me when I take their picture.

Well, seeing photos brings a shocking awareness of an "oblivious-to-me" lifelong habit which the rest of the world sees virtually every day.

Tongue action aside, I must say that there were moments when I doubted the wisdom of embarking on this new dimension of horse activity.  

My doubts surged when a loose cow surged from out of nowhere among the riders and ran straight toward Lily.

No different from a deer suddenly lunging from the brush.  Of course, a horse must react, and react she did.  We wheeled around---a time or two, and that power below began to surge just like the cow.

Fear abounded, but maybe the tongue helped me stay on.  I later yelled that the cows were sorting the horses.

After the rodeo action ceased, my longtime friend Gail came over and offered to ride alongside me with her gelding Yogi.  

A long time ago, Gail and I used to ride a couple of mares the same age, Chick and Tiny.  We enjoyed many an hour sitting aboard our horses and having fun at the old Bonner County Fairgrounds.  

By the way, Chick and Tiny would have been 50 this year.  So, you can tell we've been friends forever. 

Anyway,  Gail told me that Yogi has a calming effect with inexperienced horses, and I soon believed her.  Lily began to settle down.

Both Barbara and I spent the afternoon staying away from each other.  Our two mares who rarely see each other became instantly herd bound.

Eventually, Gail said it was time for us to go see some cows.  

"If Lily does something stupid inside that pen, you'll come and rescue me, won't you?" I asked.  Gail assured me she would.

Once inside that pen, my mare transformed from the fraidy-cat imp she can be to a focused mount with ears up, following those cows and eventually consciously pursuing them.  

As Gail says, once they figure out the cows will go away from them, the horses start having fun. 

Lily loved it.  We did two sessions moving the herd but no real sorting.  It was a hot afternoon, and after Barbara's second run-through with April, where she actually did sort out about four critters, we called it a day. 

My experience went from absolute fear that I might die to exhilaration that I had conquered my fears when my horse conquered hers.  We'll go back.  I really appreciate the support we received as we entered into this unfamiliar realm. 

While we spent the afternoon sorting, Bill and Annie were doing a little fly fishing up Grouse Creek.  Annie caught two fish yesterday, and, of course, took a picture of one with her cell phone. 

It was a wonderful father-daughter outing.

Later, we tied in with Willie who had spent three days at Whitworth for a basketball camp.  He came home pretty darned proud of his JV players who won first place in their bracket.   So far in summer league his players have an 8-1 record.  

Yes, a great weekend for everyone.  Now, it's time to get back to work.  

Happy Monday. 

1 comment:

Gail Curless said...

Glad you had so much fun yesterday. I enjoyed riding with you.
I loved the picture of your dad and mom at Willie's wedding.
Gail