Wednesday, June 19, 2013

LOVE Has Come For You





What better birthday present for a lady named Love who'd like to be able to play the banjo AND one who has LOVED everything Steve Martin has ever done as a performer!

Cruel Shoes:  Just ask my students.  Many will remember those asides during English class when Mrs. Love would pull out her copy of Cruel Shoes and pick a few selections like "They Called Him Big Nose" or "Renegade Cows" or the title story with Carlo and the lady who bought the cruel shoes with razor blades. 

I've suffered through a few cruel shoes in my life so I could identify with that story, just like I can with the Big Nose selection.  

And, of course, I've dealt with a few renegade cows in my life---thought nothing quite like those who came up the elevator and watched the narrator sleep.   Still remember the night I read that story to my friend Helen and some other ladies.  

Almost put 'em on the floor. 

Anyway, I won't even go into detail about the classic but earthy line in another story:  Boy, I sure stunk it up in there!  I'll leave that to the imagination.

Move on to Pure Drivel.  I know that book is around this house somewhere.  

Had to keep buying copies of Cruel Shoes cuz folks would borrow mine and conveniently forget to return them.  I didn't mind.

I love any Steve Martin movie---Trains, Planes and Automobiles stands out. 

And, that banjo playin'?  Iz there anything that man can't do?

Well, my friend sent me a birthday box with a bunch of stuff for family---feathers from her parrot Bob and some from a pheasant for Bill and my sister Laurie.  A camera for Willie to give to one of his photography students.   

Border Collie Christmas ornaments!  Did I have any idea there's one for each year?  Nope! 

Anyway, they'll go on the tree this year, and I'll try to get on the list for all upcoming years.

I told her I wasn't gonna open whatever was inside the gift bag until the actual birthday.  

She responded with, "Please do."

In her note, which I read quickly, I just noticed the words "Steve and Edie" and "CD" and that she and her friend were gonna attend a concert with them in August.  

Why is she sending me a Steve and Edie CD, I thought.  That's SO yesterday.  Oh well, she lives in Palm Springs and one could say that it may be in a time warp with its "silver wave" of residents. 

Well, after my instructions to please listen to the CD, I pulled it out and VOILA! 

A different Steve and Edie from what I thought.  

My man Steve Martin and (I must be in my own time warp) Edie Brickell. 

This Edie's (wife of Paul Simon) is new to my ear, but she's quickly becoming a staple in this household, ever since yesterday when I first listened to the gift CD.  

Listened again this morning while reading the paper,  and, soon, I'm sure, the lyrics from the songs will drive me crazy as they play over and over in my head while I'm out weeding my peas and chard. 

I did some studying on Edie who has a lovely distinctive voice.  Didn't have to do any on Steve. 

Speaking of voices, last night "The Voice" crowned a new winner.  I had said to Bill early on in the competition that Danielle Bradbery had a "Carrie Underwood" presence, only an even better voice.  What a singer at age 16!  

So, I have a feeling her name will become a household word, just like Edie Brickell will here at the Lovestead. 

Thanks, Mow.  I love the CD, and, as Mow knows, when Marianne's excited, she likes to tell the world.  

So, check out the video above and then purchase your own copy cuz I'm not loaning mine out to anyone.  

Been there, done that with Cruel Shoes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember it well!!!

Helen

Anonymous said...

My first recollection of Steve Martin was on a tv series called Doc. If I remember correctly he played a banjo playing priest, and his claim to fame was playing Duelling Banjos - with one banjo. One wild and crazy guy...