Monday, July 08, 2013

New Wheels . . . .


Apparently, my first-ever car wasn't too popular.  This is the only image I could find on the World Wide Web that even comes close to what it looked like.  

I can guarantee you that my hubs weren't that fancy.

My first set of wheels was a 1969 or '70 Ford Fairlane 500, 4-door, turquoise.  Can't remember if it was a standard or automatic.

Except for the color, the car pretty much featured whatever my dad and Kenny Piatt, the salesman,  thought I needed. 

That's kinda how my first-ever saddle purchase went too, when Harold and Boots Belote argued over what kind of seat, stirrups, etc., I needed.  Turned out to be a Hereford, and, if I'm thinking right, my sisters still have it.  

I was happy about the lariat that Boots threw in as a bonus when I handed over the money. 

Seems like I traded that saddle for one of Harold's saddles a few decades ago.

Anyway, in spite of my limited input,  I was pretty proud to purchase my first-ever car from Cady & Pier, the Ford dealership, on Cedar Street in Sandpoint. 

The payments must have been pretty workable on my $5,700 a year teacher salary.  I think they were about $83. a month. 

I lived at home with my family at the time, so that's probably why I could afford brand-new wheels. 

Well, today I'll go try out a couple of cars.  They aren't brand new, and I know the payments will likely exceed $83. per month.

When my sisters and Debbie read this, they'll be cheering because I'm sure their hearts were going pitter patter a time or two Saturday when the Jimmy,  with its 186,000-plus miles, would let out that loud rumble noise every time I braked to go down a hill or enter a curve.

The car has been doing that for some time.  I did air up the tires once, and that helped, but whatever the disease happens to be, it's chronic.  

Airing up the tires at Haye's Chevron in Clark Fork did not help much Saturday. 

Who could blame the Jimmy?  This 2001 SUV has put in a good run since we bought it a few years back.  It deserves retirement, from our house anyway.

Bill and I drove through the local car lots last night and zeroed in on four cars he'd already picked out as possibilities at one lot.  

He said if he had all the money in the world, he'd walk into a Toyota dealership and slap down a check for a new Toyota SUV.  

He doesn't have all the money in the world, though, so Toyota will have to wait.  

As will Hyundai.  I saw a Hyundai that looked pretty nice last night, but then Bill reminded me that Debbie has to take her Hyundai to Post Falls or Spokane to get it fixed.

So, we've narrowed down the choices to a Suburu Outback or a Chevy Equinox.  There's a pretty green Outback I'll try, and a nice dark blue Chevy Equinox.  

Bill wonders about the 4-cylinder engines but points out that that the 6-cylinders cost thousands more. 

It's kinda fun thinking about driving some new wheels and actually having a car radio and CD player that work. 

Back in 1970, color meant everything to me when I purchased my first automobile.  That's the only item where Kenny and Harold had no say. 

In 2013, my priorities have changed.  The tunes will make all the difference to me as I roll on down the road in either the Outback or the Equinox.  Heck, maybe I can finally take my new Steve Martin--Edie CD with me when I drive to town.

Oh yeah, it will be nice to have passengers not feeling the need to say silent "Hail Mary's" every time we go down a hill or enter a curve.  

That will be really nice!

Happy Monday. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it more like this?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/3310/4441/8274720002_large.jpg

Anonymous said...

Go for the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Lots of power, reasonable mileage, and a good looking ride. Also holds its value over the years. I love mine...