Sunday, August 18, 2013

All in a Summer Day







Seems these summer days are filled with more than enough to do.  During yesterday's daylight hours, we worked on home projects and attended the Boundary County Fair. 

I spent a major part of the morning at the stove, cooking up jelly from our overloaded plum tree.  So far, I have 15 jars of the stuff, and it appears to be setting up.  So, that's good news.

Last night I took the ladder to the tree for some more picking, but the bees would have no part of it.  I'm guestimating about five stings so far this year.  This one got me near the wrist, inflicting the pain, some swelling and some morning itch. 

After dousing the sting with soda and cold water, I went back to the tree, determined to win the war and pick my plums.  Still, the hateful buzzers were on the assault.  So, I limited picking to a few here and a few there.

This morning, long before those busy bees got up, I once again climbed the ladder.  This time I was able to fill a bucket with more plums.  

There are plenty more, and I have a friend who's game to fight off the bees for her share of the plums. 

I've also been fighting the bees to dig potatoes in the manure pile garden.  So far, they've not inflicted any bodily damage out there.  This year's spuds look pretty darned good---no scabs and nicely shaped. 

Bill and I went to the fair yesterday to watch the timber sports.  His longtime friend Bob Bosworth has been competing in timber sports for more than 50 years.  Bob's son Carson is world renowned as a profession timber sports athlete.  

Father and son, along with their Danish forester friend put on quite a show, laced with some good humor and dominated by a lot of fast action with hard work. 

We enjoyed the show, and I spent a few minutes taking shots of other fair action, including the lawnmower races.  Now, I have to say that I've never seen any lawnmowers cutting grass that looked like these souped up models. 

Bill thinks I could compete with my mower, but no way.  I do mow fairly fast at times but usually survive without a helmet and body armour. 

I also found a gorgeous lily with a purple ribbon.  Its artistic center demanded a photo.

Twas a busy but fun-filled and productive day----'cept for the bee, of course.  

Happy Sunday to all. 

No comments: