Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sandpoint High 1983 . . . Reunion

Bob Kramer,  right, was one of Bill's Boy Scouts in Troop 111. He works in the woods. 

James Reuterdahl, left, and Diane Scott, right, with James' fiancee Bert Reynolds. 

Steve Watt, left, has lived in Japan for several years.  Dr. Brett Converse works locally as an engineer, while Kari Daarstad Saccomanno seemingly does it all in many capacities for the Sandpoint community, especially in education circles. 

Dan Fulton works as a cop in Arizona, Russ Stevens does mechanic work and you know who smiles a lot. 

Libby Kalkoske has served our country in Iraq.  She's now a massage therapist and still a lover and owner of Arabian horses in Oregon.  Libby used to live down the road from me on Great Northern Road and often visited while out riding. 

Wade Brown and his sister Tawnya.  I taught 'em both, and last year I even went on a trail ride with Tawnya. 

Mike Smith was one of my English students.  He manages a car care center in Sumner, Wash.

It just occurred to me that this has been quite a week.  I've attended my mother's Celebration of Life, a pre-wedding brunch and a class reunion.  

There's a new horse residing on the place, and I used my passport for the first time on a day trip to Canada.  

I've also spent considerable time learning some of the ups and downs for locals, traveling back and forth to North Dakota to work hard and earn some extra dollars. 

Seems like quite the cross section of events, and it's for sure I've had some wonderful opportunities to reminisce, to learn and to appreciate all that life has to offer.

Last night the Sandpoint Class of 1983 began their reunion weekend at Laughing Dog Brewery.  

While Bill was helping Presbyterians welcome another year's worth of "Bike to Build" participants for a weekend stay in Sandpoint, I spent about an hour or so visiting, hugging, laughing and catching up with those pictured above, along with countless other 1983 grads.

As usual, the class reunion offered the ultimate in teacher reinforcement.  Thirty years later, the tables turn.  For teachers showing up at reunions----there's both ecstasy and pride. 

Plus, it's just plain fun.  Last night was no exception.  

I don't know what the next few days bring, except for knowing there's a county fair, but this past week has been one for the books.   Emotions ran the gamut----that's for sure, and all in a good way. 

Happy Saturday to all. 


No comments: