Thursday, September 05, 2013

Rip Snorter Night, Rainy Thursday




Two more countries under her belt.  Annie has reported geocaching finds in Poland and the Republic of Slovakia.  Looks like she's been pretty busy with her GPS.

I have no idea which country is represented with the flip-flop photo above, but I do know that the shot with the wonderful background colors was taken in Slovakia.

She put a note on her Facebook wall that she was going to "sneak" into Poland.  Don't know if that happened, but she does have the cache to prove it. 

Back here in North Idaho, we had quite the lightning storm overnight, leading to a warm, balmy morning.  

What happened to September where wind shields are fogged up in the mornings and there's a cool nip in the air?  Seems a little unusual.

On this morning's walk, I noticed that the lightning had hit and snapped a tree over in the north part of the Meserve Preserve.  

Speaking of trees, Debbie and I witnessed a first in our game-related, sheltered lives last night.  While sitting on the deck, I spotted some birds launching off like pheasants and aiming toward the trees in Gary Finney's woods.

First, one, then another, then another.  Debbie turned around in time to see a few more headed for the limbs. 

I wondered if there could possibly be rooster pheasants over there cuz Bill has seen and heard pheasant signs around our place a couple of times this summer.

Well, upon walking over to the road, we both discovered a phenomenon that had never entered our brains.  

Until last night, I did not know that turkeys sleep in trees. 

Now, I do, and so does Debbie.  

We listened as one---probably the self-appointed turkey sergeant---quitely piped out instructions to the others.  A few relocated in different parts of the trees, and then all went silent.

This morning they had already gotten up---oops--downand were over visiting the young calves in Taylor's field. 

As I walked down the road, I observed another more disturbing item. 

What gives the telephone company and the producers of all those telephone books, they think we need,  the right to litter the road with their annual editions inside big plastic bags?

Are they exempt from any rules for polluting the countryside?  This has been bugging me for the past couple of years as I've witnessed plastic book bag after book bag dumped and sitting alongside the road for weeks on end. 

I'm wondering whom they pay to make these deliveries and if they specifically instruct them to throw the books on the ground rather than taking the time to insert them inside mail boxes.

Is there a law against their putting them inside mailboxes?  Is that why they show up on the ground near the paper and mailboxes?

I really loved picking up my drippy bag with a Frontier telephone book inside this morning while also carrying my papers to the house from their assigned boxes. 

Do Frontier or the makers of the other books have any sense of civic or environmental pride?  

Seems to me that,  with the amount of money they must bring in from ads, they could afford to have the job right, like every other business-related entity in this country. 

I also wonder if those books are pinpointed for just Frontier customers, or do they just land wherever there's a mail or paper box?

I'm finding telephone books less and less efficient with each day as more and more telephone users bypass the land lines for cell phones.  

This has also led to an increasing challenge for journalists like me,  trying to track down people for interviews.  

Indeed, frustrating but not nearly as maddening as the corporate garbage depositors. 

Just sayin'.  And, definitely thinking these companies need to show better civic responsibilities.  

They're surely not enhancing their public images by dumping telephone books along our beautiful country roads. 

Okay, I've got that off my chest.  Now, I'm thinking about cleaning out some litter on this rainy day.  

My drawers and shelves have way too many telephone books.  Maybe I need to go dump them near a telephone company mailbox. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couple of things...

I'm pretty sure it is illegal for ANYTHING but U.S. Mail deposited USPS employees so the phone company is only abiding by the law. In town it's easy - just goes on the front step - not so pretty in the country!

Gone are the days GTE (then Verizon, now Frontier) is the only company you can get phone service from so I suppose they just use the blanket method.

Worse yet, I think, are the huge Hagadone directories thrown out at each home - immediately goest to recycling!

And I'm shocked that an old farm girl like you didn't know turkeys roosted in trees. Those nice little "roosts" (like stadium seating) built for hens and roosters inside chicken coops are nothing more than inside substitute trees for chickens. :)

Anonymous said...

Somehow some words got deleted from my comment...

...illegal for anything but U.S. mail TO BE deposited BY USPS employees IN MAIL BOXES.....

Word Tosser said...

got one of those fang dang books thrown at our place too.. we don't have Frontier... but looking in the book .. our number is no longer in there, nor my daughter who does have it.. and my galpal is not in there either.. don't know why..

Turkey story... my husband and grandson was turkey hunting a few years ago... they sat under a tree waiting for daylight to come... as they knew turkeys were near by... well, as the sun rose so did the turkeys... before they fly.. they well, do the same as us human's.. go to the bathroom... on the hunters below... yes, my husband and grandson.. who did not know the turkeys were in the tree.

Anonymous said...

...re: the directories...your county commissioners can take care of it. We got the city where we live to pass an ordinance prohibiting unwanted distribution. Since you're outside municipal boundaries, the county would have to do it. Shouldn't be a problem...unless the publishers are paying someone off, which isn't beyond the realm of possibility, either...

MJB