Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Community Loss

Humorist Patrick F. McManus gets a good laugh out of Sydne VanHorne (left), among others,  last month at a send-off for cowboy cartoonist Boots Reynolds.

Years ago, I went through the hoops involved in the only real job application of my lifetime.  The process involved working as a feature-writing correspondent for the Spokesman-Review

Happily every other aspect of employment for me has involved a simple hand shake or a job offer based on my past work experience.  That's how it is in a small town, or at least how it used to be.

The Spokesman, however, is located out of Spokane, Wash., so even back in the late '80s, I had to go through the process, which included asking someone to stand behind me as a personal reference.

Sydne VanHorne was that person, along with other folks involved in journalism.  I asked her because of her position in the community, her wisdom and mainly because of the respect both she and her husband Steve had shown me over the years. 

In my mind, Sydne stood out as one of Sandpoint's most respected community leaders.  She served as executive director of the Festival at Sandpoint, and, in later years, played an instrumental role in founding one of Sandpoint's most effective community support organizations---Community Assistance League aka CAL. 

Besides her leadership skills, Sydne possessed a down-to-earth, common sense approach to every task and in her dealings with virtually everyone she met.

I saw Sydne twice in one weekend last month.  

When I spotted her in a chair at Beyond Hope Resort waiting for a mutual friend's wedding, I immediately summoned my daughter-in-law Debbie to walk over and meet Sydne.

Debbie had just learned of her new role as Pend Oreille Arts Council executive director.  So, seeing that she met Sydne had a dual purpose in my mind:  one, to show off my daughter-in-law to someone whom I highly respected and, secondly, for Debbie to get connected with Sydne as a great source of wisdom and experience in her new job.

The next day, Bill and I drove out to Clark Fork to say an official good bye to another dear friend and community talent---Western artist and cowboy cartoonist Boots Reynolds. When we pulled up to the potluck picnic/wake on Derr Island, Sydne drove in right behind us.

We had a good visit that day, and I am so glad.  This morning I feel very fortunate that I shared some lovely moments with this phenomenal lady.

Yesterday was a sad day in Sandpoint when news spread around town of Sydne's sudden passing.  Stunned, taken aback and regretful----that's how a lot of folks expressed their reactions, some lamenting that they had been intending to get together with her. 

One common denominator among the masses of mourners stood out---Sydne was loved and respected throughout the community.  

What a statement for one to leave behind! It seems that scores of people out there viewed her exactly the same, regardless of their associations with her in CAL, the Festival, Women of Wisdom, the library or as just a good friend who loved people and a good time. 

I am sad about Sydne's sudden loss but am so glad to have known her over the years.  We did not spend a lot of time hanging out as friends, but when we did get together in the grocery store, at the Festival, at a wake or a wedding, the visits were always the same:  filled with respect, some good laughs and always positive. 

In closing, I must say that our Festival program adorned with Mitch Miller's autograph---wherever it may be packed away in a moving box---is even more special now.  I met Sydne's younger daughter Stefanie during the Mitch Miller concert at the Festival many years ago.

She didn't know who I was from a hole in the ground, and I'm sure she wished the obnoxious woman who seemed to know who she was and who kept urging her to get her mother to get me an autograph would just go away that night.

But Stefanie everntually did her duty.  Her mom Sydne arranged for the autograph for the goofy lady, and years later, the goofy lady turned out to be Stefanie's English teacher.  And, hopefully over the years, some of Stefanie's earlier assessments may have changed.

We enjoyed a wonderful relationship as teacher and student.  My heart goes out this morning to Stefanie and her lovely older sister Rachel.  I know that Sydne's example will sustain them, just as it does the rest of her fans. 

RIP:  Sydne VanHorne.  You did well on this Earth. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think you are a goofy lady, but that is one of many things I love and respect about you! ; )
Thank you for this - it felt so good to read. Hugs, Stefanie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thank you for you!
Julie K.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a truly amazing woman. I was blessed and honored by her friendship for almost 30 years. I was further blessed when she became a coworker at the library. Every day she worked was one of the best days at work. Thank you for your wonderful piece, Marianne. You described her so perfectly.

Gina Emory