Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Surprise! Surprise! Google's at It Again.


It's always fun in the morning, when running on a pretty tight schedule, to discover that the cyber gods have dumped yet another new techno-challenge to the lowly minions out there, like me,  who don't spend all of their days thinking of how to reinvent the wheel.

Seems this morning one of those changes has befallen at least this home computer center, and it comes from Google.  Google really wants us all to sign in for everything we do online with just one username, one email address and one password.

They've been suggesting this option for a long time; now, they've suddenly put it into full practice. 

I started out on my laptop this morning because my laptop still follows normal procedures with the photos I post.  I can load photos from the camera into Picasa, edit them and then get them ready to post to the blog clipboard.

For some reason my desktop does not want to do photo things with the procedure I've followed for years, so, of late, I've become a two-computer blogger.  

And, it gets hairy at times, I'll tell you cuz I know Helen and a few other readers are out there,  at their computer screens, coffee/tea in hand and primed for the prime time moment that Slight Detour is supposed to show up on their screen.

So, I get stressed, knowing that if that morning's post doesn't appear at appointed time,  or within 30 seconds of such, I'm gonna get an email from Helen. 

I had a break this past week, so life was a bit less stressful:  Helen was in Hawaii---and was probably getting up three hours later---than she does in Sandpoint.  

Oh, there was still stress with the two-computer process of getting the blog up on time, but I knew Helen wouldn't be quizzing me quite so quickly.

Well, Helen's back, and she'll be there waiting this morning, now that she's recovered from leaving 85-degree bliss to shivering her buns off late Sunday night while walking into the wild and woolly and cold windstorm we had for 24 hours.

So, I've gotta produce in a hurry again.  

Well, this morning with the cyber gods threw the new curve of "Sign in with one name and one password for everything," I hit a brick wall on my laptop.  

No matter what strategy I tried, Google would not let me sign in to my blog which has an established user name and email address and password which has been used long before this "one name fits all" blitz.

Google refused to recognize my blog.  Said it didn't exist and just kept sending me down different avenues, saying I should update my password and all that stuff.

I was getting pretty stressed and just gave up on loading photos.  

Then, I walked over to the desktop and prayed that Google would let me in to my blog.  Well, on my desktop, Google had the one size fits all sign-in window BUT over here on the old computer, the window offered options of other addresses that one might just use to get into one's blog.

It let me in, so here I am at 7:32 'splaining myself and feeling the stress dissipate during one more blogging session.  And, I'll bet Helen's not even up yet.

So, now that I have time before deadline to post this morning's version of "Slight Detour" (the blog that Google sez does not exist), I think I'll sneak back over to that laptop and gingerly work my way through that Google gauntlet to see if there IS a way I can find my blog dashboard over there.

If you see photos atop this morning's posting, you'll know I outwitted Google and got myself into my own blog's inner workings one more day.

Who knows what's gonna happen tomorrow, but I will tell you that "it's complicated" these days being a blogger----a lot less complicated than "way back when" during the pioneer stages when nobody knew what I was doing and thought I was a blobber. 

I'm feeling like a blobber now, I'll tell you.  Better hurry and see if I can post those pictures before Helen gets to tapping at her keyboard!  

Happy Tuesday.  I think.  

NOTE:  Bill needs the laptop for a presentation in Bonners Ferry today.  I have walked over there and tried again to get into my blog, only to be sent to several dead-ends.  So, to all who expect punctuality on future mornings, please know that I might still be trying to figure out the Google maze if the blog doesn't show up on time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Marianne - I WAS up at 7:32 (even though in Hawaii it was only 4:32) but I know better than to check your blog before precisely 8 a.m. And this morning it was 8:03 and there you were - hadn't a clue you were having problems - other than the fact that there were no photos and I thought to myself, "What! Did her camera break?" Yes - those computer-type people seem to think they have to keep changing everyting - must be job security - drives us all nuts - and is why I have to sign in as "anonymous"! You're up to the challenge though, I know!

Helen

Anonymous said...

Aha. Just one more reason I don't use Google!!
Janet