Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Mit dem riesigen Pickel auf ihrer, et. al.



English translation of today's post title:  With the huge ZIT on her nose. 



Well, I shall not allow my newfound knowledge of German slang keep me from biting into a crisp, cold dill "pickel."  

In fact, I've already sneaked a few slices just two days in to the aging process where the intimate marrying of vinegar, dill and salt bring out the flavor. 

I learned about the German meaning for "pickle" the other day while proudly showing off my assortment of pickles to Laura and Debbie.

Smirks followed.

Twasn't long, though, before they let me in on the secret.  They're learning a word a day from Laura, and they particularly liked the "pickel" translation. 

So, if someone asks you where you got that huge pickle, better look in the mirror first.  

We learn something new every day, which is most helpful in cosmopolitan conversation, like when my friend Jeralyn announced to her British hosts one night at the dinner table that she was "stuffed."   

Their reaction was nothing less than stunning, and Jeralyn was more careful in the future after eating a large meal, lest the hosts worry that she was "pregnant." 

Pickles and zits aside, on this wet Wednesday, I need to hurry along AS USUAL because John Fuller is coming soon to put a shoe on Lily.  Very unusual for her to lose a shoe so soon after his visit, but she did, and her tenderness in that hoof is notable. 

So, she should be rideable again, and maybe I can squeeze in a quick outing over the next two days.  

"Maybe" is pushing it because my friend "Mow" aka Jean is in the air as I type.  She's headed up this way, first to visit with a Spokane friend and then to bring good tidings from Webster, Bob, the parrot and the other doggies at her house in Palm Springs.

Mow and the Love's are related by dog.  Webster is Todd, Brooke and Kea's brother from the same litter.  

So, we always have plenty of Border Collie Nation stories to exchange. 

I haven't told her yet, and maybe she'll learn from this posting that I've used my friend whom I met the summer of 1965 at Camp Neewahlu on Lake Coeur d'Alene as the prime reason to spruce up the place. 

She hasn't been here for seven years and the last visit was just as the SNOWY winter of 2007-08 got underway.  

Mow didn't think she was ever gonna escape with her new pup Webster with her wild and woolly wintry weekend spent here, but it worked out.

So, I'm hoping she enjoys a more tranquil visit this time, and I'm anxious for her to derive a bit more enjoyment from the Lovestead. 

The summer painting project ended last night with white paint slathered on the last five sections of board fence.  The paintbrush will go into hibernation for a while, and the fences should look halfway respectable for the next couple of years. 

I rather enjoy painting fence as it allows me to think and the satisfaction is almost immediate as dirty boards turn sparkling clean. 

The last rounds with the weed eater for summer of 2014 are almost complete too.  Just a few more spots where ragged grass needs to go, and I can put the weed eater away. 

Yesterday I did some more cleaning in the garden.  Bean plants, worn-out poppies, lettuce trees and seeds and a whole lot of pesky weeds got hauled off. 

One needs a prompter to get truly motivated to tackle these projects head on, and I must thank Mow for providing me that motivation. 

We have lots of plans for her visit----family dining, geocaching, sight-seeing, more eating, horse show, a barbecue, more yakking, watching dogs frolic and more food.  

Doesn't get any better than that, and the weather report for the weekend appears magnificent. 

I have a feeling Mow will also get to sample my dill pickles.  They should be pretty tasty by the weekend, and, of course, I'm not gonna tell her about German translations or anything like that. 

Gotta get a move on.  Happy Wednesday. 

No comments: