Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sunny Scenes and Thursday Throwbacks








We were supposed to have a bad day weatherwise, but if this is bad, I'll take it.  Hearing of the chance of snow on the ground this morning, I took advantage of every bit of sunshine possible yesterday.

That included some apple-tree pruning.  One of our trees tumbled over on its side this winter, and we'll have to remove it when the ground is more solid. Sad to see it go.


The other tree really needs a professional pruner to remove an abundance of growth that has been allowed to keep growing all directions for years.  Some of those limbs are much too big for me to handle, so I do my best to remove as many upstarts as possible.


I was snipping them off pretty fast yesterday from my ladder, but missed once with the little saw and tried to snip off my right pinkie.  The saw blade pierced my glove, and, within seconds, I knew it was band aid time.


So, I took care of that and then headed to town with my camera. As usual, the sun was adding its extra touch of beauty to the area, including little diamonds on the cold water of Lake Pend Oreille. 


I'm sure that a bigger telephoto would have revealed a few moving human dots enjoying the sun and the snow on those Schweitzer runs. 


The almost-finished railroad depot had no welcome signs--just yet---so I spent a short amount of time, simply walking around snapping and hoping no railroad official would suddenly appear and kick me off the property.  


Yellow tape around the south end reminds us that the job is still under construction. The building is looking beautiful, though, in its prominent spot between the Seasons of Sandpoint and the Byway. 


After grabbing a cup of coffee, I headed back home with plans to do some more pruning on the apple tree.  All went well until the last upstart sprig.  My saw slipped and grabbed hold just below the knuckle of my right hand, a notch down from where it had sliced my little finger earlier.

Lots of blood this time and a need for two band aids.  That area throbbed last night, but this morning, at least I can punch the computer keys with my little finger.  It's just a Less Nessman day for me with the band aids. 

After doctoring up my second pruning wound, I came upstairs and saw that my longest friend Laura Delamarter (she attended my birthday party at age 1), had posted some pictures on our Sandpoint High Class of 1965 Facebook group site. 

It was sixth grade at Lincoln School with teachers, Mr. Scheibe and Mrs. Ekholm (also our principal) standing with the group. Approximately 54 years ago, Laura had taken the time to write the names of each student on the back of the photo. 

I doubt that too many of us viewers combed through the list of names before taking the time to study Laura's magnificent penmanship and to remember how penmanship was drilled into us---even us "handicapped" left handers.  

The Lincoln School staff saw to it that we developed perfect cursive handwriting---for that particular era anyway.  What set our style at Lincoln aside, I do believe, was the unique method used for forming our "r's." 

Some of us fell short of developing the conventional style quite to the level that Laura has mastered, so many of our classmates 54 years later are likely marveling at her skills from way back when.

Left handers were given a bit of a pass and maybe slightly shunned (in our teachers' minds) in those days because, after all, we were born with a disability. Still, those same teachers didn't mind marking our report cards with "U's" for certain penmanship categories. 

While enjoying photos of our class, Laura's handwriting and of a day when the girls of Lincoln showed up at Sandpoint High School decked out in gypsy costumes, I also noted Steve Hendershot and "what a cutie" he was and "whatever happened to him?"

Well, leave it to the curiosity of a journalist, just a couple of Googles later, I was talking to Steve on the phone.  

Our conversation was unfolding only 54 years since the last time when he, who lived at 314 Euclid for one year---just a block down from the Browns of the early '50s---moved back to Montana where he had lived before and still lives. 

Steve and I had a great conversation.  I learned about his experience in the Navy with nuclear submarines, his talents for journalism which nabbed him a Montana state award, his current career as a saw repairman and his lifelong love for playing in a rock 'n roll band. 

So, yes, today is definitely a day for reminiscing the good ol' days---like when Laurie came back from a National show and put on an exhibition for her students down where the community gardens now grow.  

And, with another Seattle Sounders soccer season right around the block, Annie Love of Sandpoint, ID, has definitely stuck with her sport for a long, long time. 

Today is also a ZAGS day and a day to rejoice that a ZAG, Mr. Kyle Wiltjer, was honored as NATIONAL Player of the Week for last week's remarkable performances AND he's on the cover of Sports Illustrated

Doesn't get any better than that for the No. 2-3 ZAGS, who, of course, according to pundits, don't play anyone important. 

So be it.  That doesn't make us love them any less or look at them as our No. 1.  So, go ZAGS!!!   Let's finish off this season with a couple of wins!  And, yes, Mr. Angel, I'm getting pretty excited!

Happy Thursday!


No comments: