Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Early Winter






We’ve had spring and even some days that seemed like summer.  So, I’m thinking winter has started earlier than usual this year.  It’s kinda mixed things up a little.
 
Catching a few minutes of Opening Day with Felix and the Mariners while wondering if I was gonna have to shovel a pathway to the barn----that was weird.

The geese thought it was weird too, as did a couple of ducks.  Our field is not usually a hangout for the honkers or the quackers.
 
Even the daily deer visitors were confused; they came to nibble on grass a few hours early, probably cuz they had to work extra hard with their teeth nibbling through some cold snow to get a bite to eat.

Yeah, we had quite a snow day yesterday.  I even heard that one district southeast of Coeur d’Alene closed its schools ON APRIL 6.

This morning, it’s downright beautiful out there with Schweitzer all white and the mountains below it.

Bright green human and critter tracks are pretty noticeable across the lawn, which will probably get mowed soon after the snow melts.

Some people, I heard, mowed their lawns on Sunday to beat Monday’s snow storm.  My sisters had a new John Deere mower delivered yesterday afternoon.
 
Laurie (today’s birthday girl) said she put the snow blower away for the spring AND that’s probably what caused all this.

For me, it was okay cuz I had a fabulous book to finish.  Late last week, I told my sister-in-law about The Boys in the Boat and received a note early yesterday morning that she had finished it and that it was one of the best reads ever.

To think that I had picked up my copy three days before and still had 70 pages to go before crossing the finishing line---next to her speed read, that was embarrassing.
 
Well, thanks to the snow storm, I got ‘er done.  Now, Bill gets to read all the parts which I haven’t already told him about. 

The book is one of the best I’ve read, and that assessment even includes the Laura Hillenbrand best sellers.  Of course, I think familiarity with so much of the geography within adds to the interest.

Once the book was complete and as the snow continued to fall, I also watched a little baseball.  My oh My, King Felix certainly had a great start for the seaon with his ten strike-outs and a win.

Later, we watched the men’s NCAA National Championship.  It turned out to be an epic game, and I’d say THE COMMITTEE who figured out this year’s seeds did a pretty good job cuz that game was a thriller.

Now, with the sun shining, it promises to be a day filled with fresh, crisp outdoor air and little projects leading up to the big stuff that comes when the sun keeps shining and the grass keeps growing. 

Love the week’s prospects ahead----maybe winter isn’t around the corner and the snowblowers can stay put.
 

Happy Tuesday. 

No comments: