Wednesday, April 08, 2015

In the Neighborhood


Back side of Schweitzer from Meserve's north field. 

A perennially lovely scene on the Meserve Preserve. 

Johnson's bridge over the swale always takes my eye. 

Wood cows and horses grazing in snowy grass. 

The old Lockwood Place, owned by Jim and Mary Taylor, has provided me dozens of beautiful scenes. 

The STAR of our bike riding trip, a baby calf owned by Taylors,  holding that pose!


Last Saturday morning, I was raking in an area near the road when a white pickup slowed down and stopped.

The driver, wearing sunglasses, opened his window.

"Where have you been?" he asked.

"Take those sunglasses off, so I can see who you are," I responded as he was a bit silouetted in the morning sun----and we all know how many white pickups there are around these parts.

The glasses came off and recognition followed. 

He's Jesse, Dan Wood's grandson, and it had been a while since he'd seen me out walking during my normal morning time.

"I've got this to do now," I said, referring to yard work, "so I haven't been out walking cuz this kinda makes up for it.  Guess I ought to get back to it."

That's when Jesse said he and his grandfather had noticed my absence on the road whenever they were headed off to a day's work.  They worried that something was wrong.

Typical story of this neighborhood.  People don't spend a lot of time socializing with each other, but they keep track.  And, it kinda makes a person feel good to know that.

I do occasionally socialize with Dan and Jesse during roadside visits, usually drawn to a quick close when the next car comes rolling down the road.

In Saturday's case, I learned that Jesse and his grandfather were doing some farming over in Priest River, but on that particular day, Jesse was headed to Kalispell on a "road trip" to pick up a piece of equipment. 

Another pickup came about the time I was learning that information, so he moved on. 

Yesterday I got out and did some walking because the coating of snow prevented me from doing much yardwork until later in the morning. 

The sights were unusual for this area in that it's not often that we see a mixture of snow and lush green grass in the springtime.  

So, the sights that I see almost every day when I'm walking up and down the road not only looked different but very pretty. 

Later in the day----in between dinner and news and the Mariners game, Bill and I took off for a bike ride around the Forest Siding Loop.  I had my camera hanging over my shoulder, but lighting at that time wasn't too great. 

So, followed the route with Bill stopping occasionally to work on his chain.  Seems the bike's gears weren't shifting.  

Finally right alongside the old Selle Grange, now turned church, I saw a photo waiting for a camera.  That little calf seemed to know that I needed at least one good shot from my bike trip.  

So, the little one stood like a statue as I stopped pedaling, pulled out the camera, aimed and clicked.  Thank you, Baby Calf.  I love the result. 

It's been almost nine years now since we moved to Selle, but I still marvel at the ever-inspiring beauty and the subtle but comforting camaraderie among the residents who live out this way.  

Still pinching myself too.

Happy Wednesday. 


1 comment:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Hard to believe it has been 9 years. I remember when you stopped by and said hi and told me you were going to be my neighbor! Seems like yesterday, well almost!

Toni