Wednesday, February 22, 2017

On the Upswing


Life is getting a little better around here.  We're drying out.  My geranium seeds have arrived.  I enjoyed some great visits with several friends yesterday. 

I think my brief winter funk may just turn into history, and I'm hoping the same for my friends who have been experiencing similar feelings. 


Here in North Idaho toward the end of winter, we all reach that point where we want to burst from our cocoons and get on with the business of life. Sadly, we're not always in charge of when that happens.

There are signs, however, and that is a good thing.  I heard "cheeze" burger birds singing up a storm this morning.  Maybe I'd better not say "storm," lest someone get ideas of dropping another one on us.

Yesterday, the snow turned really slushy in the driveway, so I pulled the tractor and plow out and scraped it down to an actual sand and rock surface and pushed it off into the snowbanks.  We have dirty snowbanks this morning, but walking to get the paper was like a dream. 

I also widened the lane leading to where the dogs play in the field, and Bill commented that the surface was flat and much easier for walking. Amazing how something like normal walking, which we take for granted so much of the time, turns into a luxury.  

Heck, I'm thinking a little later that I might just go out there and walk up and down the driveway, just cuz I can do it! 

I'll probably put those geranium seeds in their potting soil today and add them to the garden window assortment of flowers, tomatoes and lettuce. 

It's the little things that make a big difference this time of year, and I'm seizing on every opportunity to enjoy them. 

Below, you'll see some fun stuff from Brazil.   





Dispatch from Brazil: Intervales State Park


State ParkRibeirão Grande, SP, Brazil

Blog text below, written by Simon Evans, a member of Annie's geocaching group on the Brazilian adventure. 


Simon Evans
A little about Simon, hot off the press from him this morning:  I just blog on my Facebook generally.  My Geocaching name is “Bradfordgull,” which people know me as, and my [Geocaching] reviewer name is Southerntrekker.

I’m 35.  Live in Exeter, South West of the UK.  I work for the railway as a guard.


Here’s Simon’s take from yesterday’s finding of the Ape Cache in the jungle: 

Day 4 and a very good evening from Intervales the home of the Ape Cache. Well what a day it has been in rather hot weather! This area is part of the jungle although not the well known famous Amazon jungle. 

Whilst the heat is not as bad as we have experienced in Sao Paulo and Rio, you do have to contend with the extreme humidity. Also I found out today that the hole in the O zone layer is a lot larger here and thus the sun is a lot stronger too and precautions have to be taken with plenty of sun cream.


So we have found the Ape Cache today, which as I previously said is a big thing for a Geocacher. For those of you who are wondering what I am on about, it's this. 

Basically in 2001 Geocaching HQ got together with the production company of the film Planet of the Apes. As part of this promotion 12 caches were placed all over the world which in them contained items from the film sets. 

Most were in the States but one was placed in Brazil, UK, Japan and a couple in Australia (going from memory on this but you can Google Ape cache). You also got a special cache type icon for your profile. 

Sadly over time they got stolen and went missing. Brazil is the last one left and is quite a pilgrimage for Geocachers as is going to HQ. So it was quite something for me to be able to get this cache with fab people and also be in the Southern Hempispher. I still have to pinch myself that this is real. I am so grateful to have this opportunity, which I never thought was possible.

We also spent the rest of the day picking up a number of caches in the park and taking in the jungle and its views. 

It's an interesting thought that there are a number of things that would either like to kill you or infect you with something nasty that potentially could kill you later. Hopefully the bug spray is working! There is not meant to be yellow fever here but there are warning signs for it.

The jungle is amazing! The massive bamboo and the fauna. The wildlife and the colours that you get to see are amazing. Amazing in a way that you normally only ever see them in the Zoo and not out in the wild. 

Today we saw massive lizards, no idea what type. We also got to see humming birds as well amazing colourful butterflies. It's quite an experience.

So an early start at 6 a.m. tomorrow for a 12-hour road trip Iguazu Waterfalls for the final part of the Brazilian Adventure. If you have added things to my time line, the WiFi does not let me approve it so will approve them when I have better Wi-Fi
                                                                           --Simon Evans aka "Bradfordgull"

Simon also gave me permission to post of few photos.  Some below are his, while others are Annie's.   

Thank you, so much, Simon, for sharing the experience with your perspective. Can't wait to see the waterfalls. 


Memorize this tree, so if you go looking for Brazil's Ape cache, maybe you can find it easily. 


Annie and the Ape Cache, found in the Jungle

It had to be a big moment when Annie and her friends filled out the log book in Brazil's Ape cache. 



Annie and some of her geocaching friends from several different countries. 



Last night's feast after a day of geocaching.  The group expanded when about 30 Austrian, Swiss and German geocachers arrived at the lodge yesterday afternoon.

From observing Annie's experiences over the years, I'd say one of the fastest and best way to make friends around the world is through geocaching.  If you've never tried it, check it out at www.geocaching.com. 

The sport gets you out of the house, it's fun, it's educational, and who knows where in the world you'll end up once you give it a try.




No comments: