Thursday, February 09, 2017

Thursday Memory Lane





My sisters, Barbara and Laurie, say it's been 17 years since our family awaited the birth of little horse babies.  And, that year, there were two. 

That's April on the left and Rusty on the right. They were born within days of each other, and little Rusty had kind of a rough beginning because his mother didn't seem to like him. 
That eventually changed, and both grew into beautiful Half Arabian-half Quarter Horse duns.

April distinguished herself as a halter horse, winning championship after championship in large open halter classes, which included several breeds.  Meanwhile, Rusty grew up to be the boss of the herd and Laurie's dressage horse. 

Hard to believe it's been 17 years and exciting to know that just seven weeks remain before we see what Lily's little baby looks like. 




I was digging through a dresser drawer yesterday and found a couple of documents reflecting some important moments with Willie and Annie.  

For the life of me, I cannot remember the motivation behind it or the outcome of this particular bet.  

I do have an idea, but will let the kids refresh my memory.  I'm sure that both whoever had to cough up the funds or accept the funds might just remember. 



My memories of our classmate Nancy Smith are nothing but positive.  As I recall, she moved to Sandpoint, maybe when we were in junior high.  She was immediately welcomed into the fold and participated in numerous school activities----and obviously some outside of school. 

I ran across this photo when we were planning for our class reunion last year, but it wasn't until yesterday that I realized the younger ladies standing alongside Nancy, when she served as Jobs Daughters Queen,  looked a bit familiar.  

I'm pretty sure I know who they are, but maybe some blog readers can confirm their identity. Wouldn't want to be spreading any alternative facts.  So, readers, help me out.
  



I'd say this lady could be considered an equine icon. Plus, she was a great friend.  My family members all admired and loved Pearl "Love" Irwin.  

Pearl used to be a familiar figure in regional parades when she would dress up her parade horses with silver saddle, bridle, breast plate and a colorful serape, matching whatever parade outfit she happened to be wearing. 

She was a beautiful and skilled rider, whether it be in a parade or a horse show class.  She made it all look so easy, and yet she was so soft-spoken and humble.

My most vivid and memorable images of Pearl occurred the few times I watched her ride American Saddlebreds in 3 and 5-gaited classes.  It was truly indescribable watching her change gaits with with such ease.

I had the opportunity to know another side of Pearl when we would accompany the Balch family to Arabian shows around the region and even in Canada, where Pearl was there to ride the horses while I was there to help clean barns and serve as a go-fer. 

Unlike her usual somewhat reserved public self, Pearl turned commedian at night when we'd bunk down in the travel trailer, which went along with the Balch family caravan.  She could tell jokes with the best of them, and I laughed myself silly. 

Great, great lady and a phenomenal inspiration to younger riders, like my sisters. We all miss Pearl. 

And, I must mention the pretty Saddlebred mare in the photo above.  Eventually Pearl sold her to my folks. Her name was Janis Love, and after she came to our farm, she produced Mother's most favorite horse, Cricket (pictured below). 

Mother on Cricket at the old fairgrounds, now the museum and Lions' Club grounds. 




We, who live on farms in North Idaho, hate mud.  Every single year when the mud would take over our barnyard, making life downright miserable for humans and critters, we could always count on our dad announcing that he was gonna move back to the Madison Valley in Montana, where apparently there was no mud. 

I've learned over my lifetime that occasionally, it's best to embrace what we hate and make the most of it. 

So, back in the teaching years----when the mud was so deep it would suck the boots right off from us as we attempted to slog through it, occasionally leaving us with some pretty goopy looking socks----I knew it was time to plan the Mud Olympics.

The yearbook staff and some other school organization would square off at our barnyard on Great Northern Road, and we would compete in a variety of mud-related and down-and-dirty sports, such as mud football, mud flings, mud relays and, the always fun mud tug.  

Twas a great day, and specific plans were put in place for boys to change in the barn and girls in the bunk house before entering the Love house for the big feast afterward.  

Can't remember who won, but that didn't matter.  It was the one day of the year that we all loved the mud.  



Until finding this photo yesterday, I had completely forgotten the special dances that occurred at Willie and Debbie's wedding reception at The Forum.  This was Debbie and young Buddy Chambers enjoying the tunes put out by deejay Bashful Dan. 

Twas a great day almost 16 years ago. 




It was October-November, 2003.  I had gone to New Zealand to visit Annie, and we spent nearly two weeks sight seeing around the North Isle. 

I believe we may have been visiting a park in Auckland when a nice man took our picture. Some wonderful memories of a very special adventure. 




Finally, I don't know if Santa came through for William E. Love III, but he had a wide array of choices to bring down the chimney that year. 

Tonight----if weather permits----William E. Love III and his good buddy and head coach Duane Ward---are hoping Santa-Point wins another chance to compete in next week's Idaho State Girls Basketball tournament.

Hard to tell because we have a mess out there this morning. Once again, schools are closed, and once again, I left my horses in the barn to eat their breakfast. 

After a night of heavy snow, freezing rain of the worst kind is coating all that snow, making it icy and crusty.   It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow, and literally, the Lord only knows if we're going to be flooded in the next couple of days. 

It's a guessing game at this point, but logic tells us that a whole lot of rain on top of a bigger amount of snow is not a good combination.  Let's hope for the best, especially for all the roofs around the area. 

In the meantime, there's a carrot dangling before us as we move through today's weather mess:  ZAGS are playing Loyola Marymount tonight at 7 PST on ROOT/KHQ.  Will it be 25-0 when the final buzzer sounds?

We sure hope so.  GO, ZAGS!!!


2 comments:

Helen said...

Judy Moon & Liz Davis.... Right?

Marianne Love said...

:) That's what I was thinking. Or, Cory?