Sunday, July 14, 2024

At the Horse Show

 


I did get a pretty good view of my sister Laurie doing her thing with her beautiful pinto Arabian Pache. 


I'm writing from a limited perspective this morning.  

My Saturday was spent sitting at a table with a CD player, a bunch of sheets of paper with names and numbers of exhibitors and their horses and a microphone. 

Many thanks to Moriha Yetter, Spots of Fun Open Horse Show organizer for setting up a tent over my table to shield me from the afternoon sun.

This made for a pleasant day in my job as horse show announcer.  

I uttered a lot of "walk, trot, canter, reverse, halt and back five steps" yesterday which featured mostly English classes. 

I also observed some hard-working and efficient volunteers, doing their very best to see that the show operated smoothly. 

It's always fun to work with people, both adults and youth, who care deeply about providing a good product for the exhibitors and the spectators. 

They are all great people and really fun to get to know. 

I especially enjoyed my sidekick Ashley Ferrari and her pal Texas who spent most of the day sitting next to me at the table.  

Texas is a handsome Border Collie who likes his ball.  Need I say more about why I enjoyed getting acquainted with him. 

One disappointment of the day came early on when I learned that the sound system for the fairgrounds has NOT improved in the ten years since I last announced a horse show. 

Something needs to be done about this.  

It's embarrassing to walk into a situation where the announcing from the grandstand does not reach out to the barn area for exhibitors to be able to hear important announcements and when to be ready for upcoming classes. 

This situation has existed for years, and when I saw the speakers yesterday on the poles near the barns, I wondered about their purpose. 

It seems that those responsible for maintaining and funding the fairgrounds could lobby to rectify this situation. 

Enough said.   

It was a great day, and I'm expecting another today when the show starts at 8 and runs through the afternoon. 

Today will feature Western classes, showmanship, trail and the awarding of a whole lot of belt buckles and other special awards. 

It will be warm, but you can find shade, even in the bleachers. 

Come and watch some fun horsin' around. 

Happy Sunday. 




Brittany stood in the hot sun all day working as ring steward. 






This young lady won the English High Point Award yesterday.  

This young man hung around with his dad and grandma while Mom competed. 



Weston's  consistent efficiency in giving out ribbons and awards and bringing me judging results was much appreciated. 



And, that's Texas, the Border Collie visiting with Weston. 

Below:  This was my basic view for the day. 



Below:  Jupiter Jane's Traveling Cafe will be at the horse show again today. 


Below:  Sister Laurie concentrating on the next move. 





No comments: