Saturday, November 16, 2019

Saturday Slight











I needed some fresh air.  


I also wanted something bright to look at and an opportunity to walk on something besides the mud or wet snow we have here at home.

After spending most of the morning watching the impeachment hearings and preparing the house and menu for the ZAGfest, it was time to go do something different. 

So, I took an escape to downtown Sandpoint where things are confusing, to say the least.  

With ongoing construction, traffic cones and all the barricades and warning tape, I must say that driving newly paved streets, especially with my new set of glasses, seemed like a bad dream in dire need of an escape of its own.

So, to avoid feeling frustrated, I parked the car on Cedar Street and walked, feeling much safer than I had driving my car. 

The fresh air was great, my vigilance was on overload while making sure to carefully maneuver my way through the barriers and the cross walks.

After all, most folks behind the wheel also meet with confusion downtown because of additional 4-way intersections and stop signs where stop signs had never stood before. 

I'm betting more than one driver has unwittingly run a stop sign in the past several weeks.

With that in mind, pedestrians need to be on full alert. 

So, as I was watching closely while planning and taking every step, my eyes caught a logo reminding the folks on wheels to get off those wheels and walk in the pedestrian zone.

Thank you to whoever came up with that reminder.  Much appreciated and hopefully respected. 

Yesterday's walking trip took me to the new bakery on the corner of First and Cedar where I looked over the offerings and decided maybe another time would be better for purchasing any of the assortment of wonderful caloric goodies. 

Then, after another trip over the cross walk on First Avenue, I walked into the Cedar Street Bridge where I found a vast array of color to brighten up my mood on an otherwise gloomy day. 

The bridge is packed full of fun stuff----local souvenirs, a variety of gifts and crafts and fine wines, to name a few. 

There's definitely an air of Christmas throughout the mall which sits above Sand Creek, but I wasn't shopping---just looking. 

Since I know the owner Ruthie Eich, and she's a local, I walked into Mary Ruth's Gift Market where I met Cici Gann, one of Ruthie's friends who was minding the shop.

We enjoyed a nice visit, and she happily showed me some fun items around the store, which specializes in a variety of fascinating handmade gifts.  

I was thrilled to learn that my former colleague and friend from Sandpoint High School, Pixie, has some of her creations available on the shelves. 

My walk through the Cedar Street Bridge, along with frequent stops to snap a few photos, turned out to be the perfect therapy during a rainy day.

In fact, I've decided, as the winter rolls on, I'll make it a project to spend more time walking in downtown Sandpoint in hopes of getting reacquainted with my hometown.  

Lots of new stores have replaced the staples which I have imprinted in my mind during a lifetime in this community.

Time to check 'em out and revive my mental images of where things are located these days in good ol' Sandpoint. 

When the barricades, the cones and warning tape disappear and all that construction work is done, the downtown area ought to be pretty nice. 

For now, I think walking is the best and most fun option. 

Also, on this morning, I saw in the local paper that there's a feature on the SHS girls basketball team, mostly from the perspective of the players but a few interesting quotes from someone Bill and I know rather well. 

Check it out.  



Happy Saturday.  
















Pixie's Pickin's





No comments: