Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Masks and Myth Weavers









I saw some masked friends on Facebook yesterday and thought about how "masks by the millions" is once again about making lemonade out of lemons on several levels. 

If you're like me, having to wear something around your face can feel a bit claustrophobic. 

Plus, many of us, who seldom jump on the fad bandwagon don't want to appear "out of character." 

Nonetheless, I have accepted the guideline that we wear masks from now on in public settings.  

Thanks to a crafty friend and my crafty sister-in-law and Gonzaga University, I'll soon have an assortment of masks to choose should I go to town.  


Why not follow the CDC guidelines and add a little personal style and maybe even have a little fun.

This morning I gave my friend and former student Lisa, a retired educator, top billing because, for some strange reason, her mask, which she had donned to wear to Safeway, brought the biggest smile to my face. 

Ageless Geri's new accessory just has style written all over it.  

When I showed Bill the photo of friend Marian in her mask, his comment:  lucky the bank lobbies aren't open these days. 

As for me, being of the country western persuasion, and, just in case you didn't know it---loving the ZAGS---the scarf which has been hanging on my wall since Bill brought it home a few years back from a ZAGS women's game----twas an easy choice. 

I also like the scarf when I'm not wearing it over my face because it has a bit of swanky flair when collapsed around my collar. 

As of yet, I have not worn this ensemble in public, but when that happens, I think the locals will have no problem recognizing me. 

Speaking of locals, if any of you have NOT read the story in the link below which once again put Sandpoint in the New York Times, you can click the link. 

Back in the good ol' days when I taught journalism as an "old school" educator, I always stressed the essential principle we all have Constititutional rights for free speech and of a free press. 

That was made very clear to young journalists who would practice their craft, but along with that lesson came boldface punctuation point----kinda like a big exclamation point, in fact. 

Along with our rights also come responsibilities!!! 

Twas an R(ights) and R(responsibility) combo as I saw it.

I still will not apologize for that lesson.  

And, though the philosophy may never have been written in stone anywhere, I believe(d) it is essential when operating with information in any society. 

We may have our own beliefs, principles, values, etc., and that is just fine.  

Let's exercise them as we deem appropriate.

 Nevertheless, we must also remember that when we are operating in any society, especially professionally so as journalist, officials, etc., we should also respect guidelines enacted (often temporarily) for the good of the society as a whole---even if they conflict with our own philosophies. 

With this Covid 19 worldwide situation, we have come to such a point. 

I don't want to die----just yet anyway----so the last thing I want is for someone to perform the simple act of willfully coughing, sneezing or breathing on me to hurry up the process. 

Irresponsible at best. 

I have seen many voices of late who, in my mind, are using their personal forums or their positions of power to dismiss and even thumb their noses at the facts going along with this wretched disease which is killing people by the hour worldwide---and not just in the United States where these folks view liberty more important than human life.

Guess what?  

We all appreciate our freedoms AND our lives. 

Yes, as the argument goes,  thousands of people do die in traffic accidents, and they also die from the flu and cancer and a host of other causes.  

I have a strong feeling, however, that none of those deaths of late have been added into the coronavirus tally.  

Deaths in the United States and in the world from coronavirus are likely to help the world death count in general rise significantly this year.

So, using traffic deaths as an easy way to argue that coronavirus is not really a big deal seems a bit illogical.

But who cares about logic when you've got a cause, no matter how irrational. 


I've gotten the impression that some of the voices I've been reading lately view this siege as their golden opportunity to get a foothold into the public spotlight or to lead their personal followers along on the great conspiracy myths which continue to foment within the dark shadows.  

This is totally irresponsible and dangerous, at the very least. 

If these people's assertions turn out to be totally accurate and nobody in their personal circles gets really sick or dies off from the disease, I will be first in line to stand before them, bowing down, beating on my heart with mea culpa's  and kissing their feet with adoration for their misperceived omniscience.

For now, it seems wise to take a hiatus from public showboating just like the rest of us have stepped back from our individual passions. Save it for a time when life is somewhat back to normal.    





Guess that's enough for today. 

Happy Wednesday. 

Stay healthy.  Stay home.  

Have some fun. 

Fashion yourself a cool mask, and put your picture on Facebook and wear it if you have to be in public. 





















No comments: