Monday, December 14, 2020

Big Day in America









Just enough snow to clean things up. 

I'll take it. 

I actually took the broom and swept a pathway outside this morning during my daily moment to see what the day brings.

It's dark when I step outside during this time of the year.  

Sometimes I see a sky filled with twinkling stars. 

Sometimes the moon lights up the sky. 

This morning, I kept my eyes focused on the ground with that broom, so I had no hint what the sky would bring today. 

This little dusting will enhance the nostalgic outdoor holiday look. That will be nice. 

And, yet, when I go out to feed, I'll still be able to drive the cart loaded with hay to the field and park it any ol' place I want.

Perfect winter conditions. 

I'd say today marks a confluence of sorts, and maybe even a trifecta.  

Odd that SO much time has gone into three efforts which, if one elected entity gets its act together, will top the headlines of Dec. 14, 2020. 

Covid 19 vaccinations in America, an Electoral College decision finalizing the results of an endless Presidential election process and TBD: Congress coming together to provide an economic stimulus. 

Grim times but also a launch of much-needed and much-yearned better times ahead. 

We'll see. 

Not often in the news do such monumental events coincide within 24 hours of each other. 

Let us hope that our collective pathway toward the future begins to light up with the culmination of today's events. 

It will definitely better times ahead for Willie, Debbie, Todd, Brooke, Joe, Barbara and Laurie when various fix-it people come to Colburn this week to take care of some major glitches in the restored house. 

So far, the plumber has come once over the weekend to get their water running and will come again to figure out why there's a leak.

An electrician will come to restore electricity to the kitchen where the wires were cut during roof replacement. 

Their stove will soon get hooked up.  Wi-fi and television service should come this week also.

Twas a frustrating weekend for all, but they worked together as "a team" to make things as right as right could be in such a situation. 

I felt so bad for all of them, especially being helpless to do anything to make their lives easier.  

What happened to the good ol' days when you could simply say, "Come on over and stay with us" until those things get fixed???

Life used to be so simple in those ways, but we all know that taking chances even with those you love dearly is not a wise choice these days. 

So, I baked bread.  

It was all I could do, but it made me feel a little better handing over big grocery bags with a fresh loaf inside each. 

At least, our family unit got to see each other yesterday, both at Colburn and here at the Lovestead when a couple of items were exchanged----our tractor platform for Willie and Debbie's freezer. 

Plus, Joe got to see Liam, and the pair teamed up to keep those horses in line along the fence. 

Such moments of just "seeing" mean so much more than ever these days. 

I got to see (through the picture window) Willie's new huge screen television set, which he can pull out from the wall and turn different directions.

I told him we'd bundle up, bring our chairs over and sit in the yard by the window, if he'll just turn up the sound.  

We'll also get to "see" Annie later this week when she comes home for Christmas.  

"Home" for Annie will be local hotel housing, but she can have Foster stay with her, and we'll all make the most of "seeing" each other in the December fresh air. 

Our sadness pales compared to that of so many others in this world, and for that, our gratitude for our fortunate situation shoots off the charts this year.
 













I told Annie that with this get-up she should have no problems with her "board meetings" at Schweitzer when she comes home.  

I think they'll approve of her Covid face covering. 





Below, you'll see a video.  Some may have seen similar videos about wonderful therapy horses.

My "angel" Pat sent me this yesterday, and, yes, it did touch my heart. 

Being around a horse is truly good for the soul, even when you clean up after them every day. 




I read in the New York Times today that it's birthday week for Beethoven.

He would be 250 years old this year. 

For 46.5 years, I have loved one of his best-known works "Ode to Joy."

When, upon our first date, Bill played the beautiful classic on his harmonica as we stood in front of a bonfire on the shores of the Pend Oreille River with a group of beloved students and my dear friends Dick and Helen, I thought to myself, "I could listen to that the rest of my life."

It's been a while since Bill pulled out the harmonica, but the memories of that night come alive every time I hear this music, regardless of the medium. 

We could be on the launching pad for some better times ahead today, so I hope you enJOY. 

Happy Birthday, Beethoven.  Your works continue to inspire. 



 



No comments: