Saturday, January 22, 2022

Saturday Slight

 



Happy second to the last Saturday in January.  

Only nine more days left in this endless month.  My friend Rose suggested that we just cancel January.

  I thought that was a good idea, but the deletion of January from the calendar would probably have to be legislated.  

And, we all know how efficient our legislators are.

  Heck, maybe the debate could even spur on some more of that "in-your-face" finger pointing (documented in this week's Legislative news), adding so much vinegar and spice to January that we would decide to keep the month after all.

Anyway, I decided to show you this morning a couple of minor diversions to January which are on my counter tops.  

The tax information envelopes sit on one kitchen counter while the seed catalogs occupy space on the other. 

Both beckon, although the tax information is pretty easy right now.  Just bring it from the mailbox or find the forms and stuff them in the appropriate envelope. 

So, that's minimally exhilarating each time I add another item.  After all, it's the bottom line at the end of tax preparation which will sting. 

The seed catalogs remind me that I could order some seeds. Usually I start planting items like tomatoes and flowers like geraniums and pansies in the pots during February.  

And, with ONLY nine days left of January, I'd better get the order in. 

Thankfully, unlike the tax envelopes,  the seed catalogs suggest lovely visions of spring and summer. 

Last summer I was popping fresh tomatoes in my mouth every day for about two months. 

Haven't bought a tomato at the store for quite some time, mainly because I know the differentiation in flavor. 

So, yeah, the tastebuds will get me going on ordering those seeds.    



In other family news, our daughter Annie hit a milestone this week, having found a geocache every day for 366 days. 

She seemed pretty happy, especially with the cake she earned for achieving the goal. 

She also said she would probably continue to go find a cache every day. 

Congratulations, Annie. 






And, besides searching for a cache every day for 366 days, Annie also plays Wordle.



 

So far, all that her mom has done with the game is to wonder about all those images with varying numbers of colored squares which she sees every day while scrolling through Twitter. 

Seems people like other people to know how they've done at Wordle on any given day.  

One lady on Twitter describes herself as "vaxed, masked & a Wordle sherple," while another has tacked "at a loss for wordles" next to her name.  Yet, another gentleman tweeter, adds "Wordle She Wrote" to his profile.

I saw an article explaining Wordle and will put on my list of "things to do" today to dabble in Wordle, as I don't want to miss out on any chances for fun and new thoughts during this month of January. 

 
If I follow through on this goal, maybe every day I can do my own Wordle challenge and post the results on "Slight Detour." 

For some odd reason, I think my friend and editor Helen would love this game if she isn't already an addict.   

Come February, when seed planting time rolls around, I may have to delete the game from the "things to do when you are about to go stir crazy" list. 

Come February, there will also be Winter Olympics to watch.  I always think I'm not going to get sucked in to the Olympics, but fail every time. 

Should be a great diversion from our North Idaho winter woes. 

In the meantime, we can dream and scheme and play word games. 









Some good news here, maybe.  

We might not have any more snow for a long, long time because Tony, the Wizard, came out yesterday and fixed our snowblower. 

It was not working during that epoch dump a couple of weeks ago, so shovels and old bodies slowly opened up our trails. 

Always, it seems that whenever we're completely prepared and ready with our weapons to assault winter, it quits snowing. 

So, maybe that will happen. Actually, the weather forecast kinda suggests it with almost ten days of dry weather ahead.  Hope it's correct.

Happy Saturday.  














No comments: