Sunday, May 26, 2024

Finding Things




Back again.  

Yesterday's method of adding my text to the blog post seemed to work.  As I said to Bill, this adjustment involves a few changes in procedure and some planning. 

What else is new for those of us golden oldies at this time of life???

So, we'll see how it goes. 

My inclination for now is to keep at it with a more relaxed approach.  If a post doesn't work out on some mornings, it just doesn't work out, and I'll let you know. 

I really appreciate the heartfelt messages some of you left.  

Life is a learning curve pretty much every day, and part of that curve is learning to adjust to the obstacles that stand in the way. 

Many of you who are my age know that all too well on a day-to-day basis. 

For some reason, the need to adjust isn't quite as welcome as it was maybe when we were 20 because at that time we had our lives ahead of us. 

At this age, the outlook is a bit different---adjust so you can enjoy life a much as possible. 

Anywho, thanks for you support and we'll see how this new process of posting goes. 




Years ago, when my mother was still alive, I accompanied her almost every year to Pinecrest Cemetery to leave flowers on the grave of our little sister Jeanne Marie who lived only a few weeks. 

One year she said to me, "I hope you will continue to do this after I am gone." 

There was no question in my mind that I would do exactly as she wished. 

Several years ago, the family purchased a grave stone for Jeanne Marie so that her grave could be found easier.  

Until that time, the marker was about the size of a 3 by 5 card which was often hidden by grass. 

This was the lady who had yearned for years to find the grave of her mother Lily who died in 1924 when  Mother was only 3 years old. 

I was especially touched one time by a comment she made in a Catholic newspaper article, featuring her life and her artwork. 

Mother told of her mother's early death and of her own efforts as an adult to find where Lily Halter was buried. 

The quote went something like this: Some day I'd like to find her grave and put a flower on it.

Off and on over the years, we made efforts to find the grave and eventually learned about the cemetery near Wallace was the location but many of the wooden grave markers had disappeared over the years. 

Sadly, Mother's wish for her mother was never able to be fully granted, but having been instilled with the importance of remembering our loved ones long after they are gone inspires the annual trips to the cemeteries. 

It's always a beautiful and somber activity, even if it was pouring rain yesterday when I visited my parents' grave at Pack River Cemetery. 

At the time, the only other person there was my neighbor and former teacher Eva Whitehead who has been devoted to the Selle-area cemetery for years. 

At 90-plus, Eva still carries a hammer and an armload of American flags around the cemetery to place at the graves of local veterans. 

A wonderful and meaningful aspect of Memorial Day, which, I'm sure, is most appreciated by the families. 







The garden is coming along, in spite of weather fluctuations.  Yesterday I was able to clean out most of the weeds between the rows because, at long last, I could tell what were veggies and what were weeds. 

The next few days of warmth should bring a growth spurt for both the veggies and the weeds. 












Bill and I have been doing some purging and cleansing here in the house for the past several days. 

Our efforts have led to "finding things."  

Instead of purchasing some brand new manilla envelopes, I can use the supply I found while sorting through one of the many piles that have grown over the years in our house. 

A new but old notepad now sits next to my keyboard for list making. 

I also found some items for cleaning my computer keyboard, which has been in great need. 

Those items were purchased years ago and then put away for later use.  Well, years later, they got some use yesterday, and I am typing on a relatively clean keyboard. 

Bill has been concentrating on tidying up the garage and the attached shop. On Friday he summoned me to the shop and said, "Look what I found." 

He was holding a handful of black-and-white photos which probably haven't been seen or touched for 18 years. 

 Most are in mint condition, and I'm guessing that most were taken by myself or students for our Cedar Post alumni editions or for some other feature stories.

I'll leave the names of these mug shots out for now and identify them tomorrow.  

For locals, though, it will be fun to see if you can name them all. I'm guessing most longtime locals could score a 100 on this quiz. 

Also, if you want to put your answers and comments about the individuals on the Facebook promotion for this post, it will be fun for all. 

Enjoy the test, and Happy Sunday. 

 














No comments: